Driveshaft shops, CA, NM, TX

Normspeed

OK, I'm about ready to go for a new style driveshaft. I think I might have more options while still in SoCal since where I'm headed is a bit remote. Any of you guys who have had modern driveshafts made up in my area, I'd sure like to hear what shop did the work, how much it cost, and are you satisfied with the piece, especially the balancing/lack of new vibrations.

The balancing is important, I only want to go through it once.

Also I see in the parts section, a new member is offering driveshafts at $395 plus shipping. Anyone on the forum purchased one from this gentleman?

Last question, I'll be fairly close to Las Cruces NM and El Paso TX, so anyone who has gotten a driveshaft from shops in those cities, I'd like to hear from you.

All info appreciated.

are you still going to use the stock tranny and the stock rear gear? I just priced my conversion joint and new tube yolk at 38.00 for the pair...of course I be upgrade rear gear..you just cnnot get a Detroit 7260 anywhere..seems they don't exist outside the factory inventory..

A bit far removed form The Crosses and The Pass, but there is an excellent driveline shop in Artesia, NM. They'll make whatever you need. Did a driveshaft for a pick-up truck project I was working on when I lived in Carlsbad. $125 from scratch at the time @ 7 years ago. Beautiful drive through Alamogordo, the Sacramento Mountains and Cloudcroft from Las Cruces. Not quite so purdy through Cornudas, the Guadalupe Mountains and Carlsbad from El Paso.

You may be encouraged by the services available and the prices you find. A lot of trucking, construction equipment, and agricultural equipment business is handled by driveline shops and custom work is not a problem for them. I got a drive line for a 47 Plymouth rod done for a price similar to what the others on the forum experienced.

You may be encouraged by the services available and the prices you find. A lot of trucking, construction equipment, and agricultural equipment business is handled by driveline shops and custom work is not a problem for them. I got a drive line for a 47 Plymouth rod done for a price similar to what the others on the forum experienced.

Mark;

Give us an update on your P-15 "rod".

Update..Very pleasantly surprised today at a visit to one of our parts stores, probably one of the oldest existing ones in the area. They had my Spicer 1310 tube yoke in stock along with the needed NEAPCO conversion joint and the stock joint for the unaltered end. These parts along with tax was 58.00..a heck of a deal compared to Summit and other discount parts houses..add to that, the parts were “in stock”!! It gets sweeter..I asked if there was a possibility to get it welded and the man said, got a few minutes? As I had the tube already cut to length and the dynamic balancer already positioned in the tube..the man installed the slip yoke onto the shaft, chuck it up, aligned and trued the new tube yoke and welded the joint on. May I add that the weld is gorgeous if you care to use that term. He then removed it from the machine, installed the other U-joint and handed it all back to me..his labor for all this..40.00…I now have a custom length driveshaft for under 100.00. Very much pleased…

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

• 3 years later...

Well, ordered all the parts from Middle ga tool and machine. Wow have prices shot thru the roof! Just the parts are right at 400 bucks. Now then there will be the tube and the welding - bet I get close to 500 in it before it is done.

I will be installing it into a 48 plymouth 4 door drivetrain. If anyone knows the tube measurement or how I should measure for the tube pleas let me know.

Thanks

Lou

ps

soem of the part # have changed. When I get it finished wil post the new #'sand a report on how it does

Lou

I had a driveshaft made by Precision Shaft Technologies in Clearwater Fl. Not to far from where your at. Cost $347.00 with tax and shipping. My old one had the ball and trunion on both ends. They were very up on old mopar driveshafts, and were able to do buisness over the phone and internet. My contact was "Mark Veldhuis" <mark@pstds.com> or 888-442-1711. He will tell you how and what to measure. AND the quality was exellent. Maybe you can take your parts back? I would call them first though, and see what they would charge. Good luck.

This a sad/bummer thread...Normspeed no longer posts here, loved his adventures and Tony C., you couldn't have asked for a nicer guy...RIP Tony.

They were a couple of great members and participated a lot. Normspeed is still near the top for the number of posts, presently in eighth place. Always sad to see good members disappear for whatever reason.