Dash removal progress

John Mulders

Thanks for all advice, got the dash out.

Problems that I ran ito were minor.

- Broke the bolts of the unit that is underneath the dash.

- tok a bit of time to figure out that I needed the radio to be removed first before I could loosen the temp gauge.

- The oil gauge (which I thought could be also removed from the dash) was a bit more difficult, ended up to loosen the connection at the dash (taped the oilpipe).

- When trying to remove the Plymouth dash plate a bit broke off, think I can glue it. Will spray the back black so it looks nicer.

- two top dashboard screws broke off, will need to see how I can get that out.

Temperature gauge went out without a problem. :)

Behind the dash looks not to bad, will clean it up, spray/paint it with antirust/paint

I can set the linkage for the vent easily now.

Cleanup wiring etc.

Got pictures but...

Haven't figured out how to add thumbnails?

I tried to use attachments but the files are around 150 kb and it only allows 19?

Also just got of the phone with a friend, he has a x-mas present : the fuel hose for the new gastank (poly) and the filler neck.

He got it somewhere in the US, he does a lot of things with boats so my fuel hose is US Coast Guard approved, That is a good feeling knowing I drive close to water all the time :)

Will try post pics later

John

Good work John. As a suggestion, one thing that I am glad I did was to paint the back side of the dash a light colour. In my case I used a flat high fill primer on both sides that was a very light yellow. Now when I do work behind the dash with a trouble light I find it easier to see the various wires etc. against the light background. As I get older my eyes get weaker so every little thing helps.

Phil

• Like 1

So I got the dash out.

Couple of questions.

Have looked at the gauges a bit, they don't look bad.

But:

Question 1:

I noticed the Amp gauge was not connected (could be that it is not working or they did not know it would work with a 12 V aswell). The one the prev owner installed is not working.

- Can you test an Amp gauge without starting the enginge?

Question 2:

When I took out the gauges the the gaskets broke (very brittle).

They only will stop dust etc as far as I can see.

- Anything that can be used to replace this?

Question 3:

The idea is that the speedometer will change color. Now David has posted a description on this but when I removed the instr cluster I found 2 light bulbs in the main part. One is transparent, the other had a red bulb.

This is different than I remember from Davids setup.

Anyone seen this two lights with different colors?

Haven't seen it work though , probably the light bulbs are bad.

Thanks

John

Good work John. As a suggestion, one thing that I am glad I did was to paint the back side of the dash a light colour. In my case I used a flat high fill primer on both sides that was a very light yellow. Now when I do work behind the dash with a trouble light I find it easier to see the various wires etc. against the light background. As I get older my eyes get weaker so every little thing helps.

Phil

Here is a photo of what the back-side of my dash looks like, minus a few additions such as radio, heater switch etc..

Phil

P1010046-1.jpg

Does make a ton of difference doesnt it Phil. GOOD idea. I notice you have replaces ALOT of wire with handmade wire/connections crimped. Rather than a factory harness set up. Your wires LOOK very heavy , good for YOU. IF you take a car to a car show,,,ever ,,,do they ding you for that?? Is there standard new harness available from parts places? Or only make yourself kind?? I am kinda new to this form and jus getting the itch to get my 50 Dodge out of storage garage after 25 years of owning it there. (AND driving it after I get the engine going again)(IF anyone is interested OR cares, this Dodge was bought new by my grandfather) I remeber sitting on a chair behind it once, it was parked in the garage, door open,(after probably mowing his yard) and grandpa saying IF anybody collides with my car its THEIR fault. Why is that grandpa?? Cause it says Dodge on the front and back of it!!!!! He was always sorta orneery!!

Good job on painting of the underside of the dash---have to remember that!! merry Christmas all-- just don--

Hi Don,

Very nice to hear that you have your Grandfathers car. What a great feeling. With respect to the wiring I don't enter any serious judging meets. I just did my car to have fun with. I have a mix of wiring. The engine compartment and headlight harnesses are from Rhode Island Wiring. Very high quality work, just like original. The under dash, interior and tail light wiring are hand made. By the way, after the photo was taken I soldered each of the connections just to make sure they stay connected.

Good luck with your car.

Phil

John, may I suggest you paint the underside of the dash a light grey color? In the future, when you work under the dash, it will be easier to see because the light grey will reflect light better than black. I have done it to two old pickups and it was always easier to see things when doing subsequent work under thdash. Merry Christmas, Charlie in PLYWOOD