ideas, opinions, suggestions for an engine

laynrubber

Well the engine is kapute in the 52 and tomorrow i start to remove it.

I am now looking for some ideas, opinions, suggestions on what to put back in for an engine.

The car has a 230, 3 spd, all orginal and i tow a 1400lb Boler trailer with it.

Thought #1.....rebuild the 230 but spend some money on performance items. Definantly a header maybe a dual intake. Ignition ????? I have read threads on some others that have built up their engines and would follow their leads. I like the idea of another gearbox to get my highway revs down. Maybe a T5 or a 53 Dodge overdrive ????

Thought #2.....rebuild the engine and leave it alone. No hassles, everything worked before and a cheaper direction. Not as much fun once it is all done and how do i know the engine won't fail again because of towing / prolonged highway speeds / or what ever killed it in the first place.

Thought #3.....what other engines will fit without clipping the front frame. I would like more power to pull and keep up to the highway traffic. 318 with an automatic ?? Doesn't look like much room, probably lose the heater ??

All your thoughts above are good. I mean you still have to decide what's the most suitable solution for your own preferences. Each of those approaches have their ups and downs, get some loose some kind of.

In your case I would go with the SBM V-8 route, for example an injected version outta 90's Ram Van + 4-speed OD automatic. Cheap package from junkyard, quite straight forward installation and plenty of pulling power, reliability and not that bad gas mileage. Even better, find an early 2 wd Dakota and you get the correct width rear axle as a bonus, you need that also.

I'm most likely doing the Dodge V6 3.9L (238cid) swap myself, since here anything bigger or more powerful needs extensive hassle with getting it legally back on road. (Our government only allows 20% more HP over original, and +25% volume) It just seems that those engines are hard to find here in Finland.

All are good ideas, it comes down to what you really want , can afford and can do.......I've had a 318 poly in my 1940 dodge since 1973, personally wouldn't recomend a poly to anyone but at the time it was all I could find here in Oz, if I was doing it again I'd put a 318/340/360 in, update the brakes, maybe the steering, diff and there you go......but as an example of not following what I preach I'm putting a 230 in the 41 plymouth coupe i have, its an older resto so am leaving the paint/trim as is but a 230, T5, edgy head, twin carbs, disc brakes, lowered, chromies & radials are the goal....... so really its your choice, all your options look o/k, just depends what you decide.........regards, andyd

My plan was to build up a little 241 Red Ram hemi for my 53, but when I started looking at cost, I stayed with the flathead six. For pure fun, reasonable cost, and smiles per gallon (as well as spectator interest) I'm glad I kept the flattie. But, to be honest, you're not going to have a real speed demon if you keep the six, if speed is your goal. I think Don Coatney's idea was good, to put a big block flathead in there with a T-5 trans.

Thank you to all that have responded.

I don't want a speed demon just something that will keep up with highway traffic pulling my little camper with out straining the engine.

In regards to going with a small V8, do the inner fenders have to be modified ? What about stock steering ? I do live in Canada and a heater is still required in the summer :D

Oh and i will be upgrading to disc brakes on the front this winter....good brakes are a MUST !

You shouldn't have to touch the inner fender panels, a 273 -360 mopar V8 should clear the stock steering if you take your time in mounting it , you may have to have it higher than if you change the steering but the V8 should clear everything......make sure you use a rear sump oil pan for stock steering/tie rod clearance......also the rear mounted dissy might require a small firewall indent/adjustment but not by much.....mount the battery in the boot for extra clearance also, looks much tidyier........andyd

Thank you to all that have responded.

I don't want a speed demon just something that will keep up with highway traffic pulling my little camper with out straining the engine.

In regards to going with a small V8, do the inner fenders have to be modified ? What about stock steering ? I do live in Canada and a heater is still required in the summer :D

Oh and i will be upgrading to disc brakes on the front this winter....good brakes are a MUST !

copy normspeed's ride. pound for pound the nicest ride. sounds great, looks great, has the flathead six, and chicks dig it too!:D

I think that is the way I'm leaning, keeping the 6 and putting some parts on it.

I have a line on an overdrive instead of the T5. This will generate more questions for me to post later :D

So my apologies to Normspeed and Mr. Coatney as they might want to start blocking me now 'cause i'ma gonna have 100 questions for them ;)

I think that is the way I'm leaning, keeping the 6 and putting some parts on it.

I have a line on an overdrive instead of the T5. This will generate more questions for me to post later :D

So my apologies to Normspeed and Mr. Coatney as they might want to start blocking me now 'cause i'ma gonna have 100 questions for them ;)

Norsmspeed is retired, and Don C. might as well be...they will gladly help, I'm sure...;):D