Hadn't driven the Plymouth in a few months do to the master cylinder leaking. Starting down the road one day and had no brakes (I always check when starting). The 2 lines coming out of the master cylinder were seized, so I had to cut them. I had bought a brake line kit off E-bay, which were supposed to be the correct lengths. I even sent him a message confirming, of course they weren't. The longs one wasn't long enough, so I had to go to the auto-parts store and buy new brake line and the tools to make my own. Replaced the master cylinder without removing the floor pan, which was a pain. I would have had to take my seat out to remove the carpet that was added. Took about 2 days and now everything works. I've enjoyed driving black Betty when it's not raining on the weekends.
The past weekend I also installed a $7 USB cord charger to the car. My first idea as to convert the cigarette light to not be negative ground, but it only has one wire. The second thought was to add a voltage regulator and covert it to 12 volts. While I was at Walmart I saw the cheap USB charger and thought I'd give that a shot and see if it would run on 6 volts. Tested with the battery and sure enough, actually charges just fine. Installed under the dash and just used some existing wiring that was under there. I can say whoever says working on old cars is easy has something else coming for them (maybe between the 60's and 90's.... The whole brake system has been a challenge, to say the least.
I was checking my tire brand and did a little Google search. The car has Dayton's on it. I couldn't find a thing about the tire, so I'm under the assumption that they're pretty old. This will be my next update. I've started poking around the interwebs and was really hoping to find some reasonable priced full white-walls. Nope, wasn't going to happen. The cheapest I found were the Coker's for $175, which just isn't in my budget at the moment (kid on the way). I did find a brand that had 1 3/8 inch white-wall, which is currently wider than all the competition. The are $99, which I can do.
I should finally be able to take the Plymouth to some local car shows now. So excited!
I'll add the following updates to my first post.
-6 new wheel cylinders
-all new brake shoes
-New rubber brake lines
-2 new steel brake lines off the master cylinder
-new master cylinder
-replaced windshield wipers
-replaced belt (had a tractor belt on the car)
-fixed driver door lock (just took apart and put back together and it worked)
-changed all fluids (seems to be self leveling with the leaks, lol)
-added oil filter (was empty)
-replaced rubber fuel line (started leaking in the garage)
-added third brake light (6 volt led)
-added rear turn signals
-new battery (old one wasn't holding a charge)
-cleaned up the trunk
-added USB mobile phone charger (yes, it worked on 6 volts)
-new tires (going to stay with the 215/75R15), would love to go full white-wall if the prices weren't so high. I have found some that have a little larger white-wall.
-add turn signal lamp and socket to factory location
-drivers door stop
-new stop light lenses (seems to be hard to find)
-new trunk lock (another hard to find, the ones I do find are so expensive)
-wiring (may work on this this winter)