Front end completely off

Allan Faust

Well, I finally got around to doing something today (finally some sun), so I took the entire front suspension off....from wheel to wheel..... now how do I get the separate pieces apart?? (Can't see anything through the gunk) and I know that i need the forks to separate the tie rods, but how do I get the upper and lower control arms off, etc.....

Pat, I think you did this recently and wonder if you still have pics??

Allan

FrontWheelSuspensionDiagram.jpg

PartNames.jpg

Allan, a small press is better to separate the tie rods now that the assembly is off the car.

Top and bottom bushing (19 and 48) have to be removed to separate the steering knuckle (23) from the control arms.

5,13,32 and 58 have to be removed to separate the control arms from the upper control arm pivot bar (2)Lower is (30)...(5,13,32 and 58 are bushings)

UpperControlArmInstructionsSide_1.jpg

UpperControlArmInstructionsSide_2.jpg

Before disassembling, measure the control arms where the bushing goes and record this measurement to ensure the same spread when re-assembling.

Hope this helps.

Pat

It really makes you feel like a dunce when you fret over something that ends up being so simple.... I was so worried about separating the tie rod ends because I didn't have any forks, and my buddies didn't either..... when I got help from my buddy to put the front end, ie control arms (still with wheels on), steering... all tied together, he said just get a bfh?? I tried hitting on the bolt, with no results... he said... no, like this, and he gave a quick whack on the SIDE of the ring holding the tie rod end.... and it popped right out.... I did the other side lickety split (and since my buddy had an impact wrench handy, which is why I didn't remove the wheels... off came the wheels.... so now I'm left with pieces that'll be easier to work with and now for more dismantling, blasting, checking the brakes etc....

Allan

post-113-13585348084166_thumb.jpg

post-113-13585348084509_thumb.jpg

post-113-1358534808475_thumb.jpg

post-113-13585348084959_thumb.jpg