A/c and alternator in 50 fastback

Lou Earle

After much fabricating, massaging , cussing and taking it in and out 30 to 50 times got the A/C compressor and alternator on bracket and in with pulleys aligned and ready to go. It is a close fit but it works.

Don questioned - rightly so - the clearance to battery etc- it is close but have about 3/4 inch clearance between end of a/c bracket and the inner fender well. battery stays in same place no clearance problems

Lou

MVC-006F-5.jpg

MVC-005F-11.jpg

MVC-002F-7.jpg

MVC-004F-8.jpg

• 1 year later...

Lou, Im about to go down this road and am wondering how this set up has worked for you over the past year. do you have any more information aobut the size and guage of plate you used? any info you have to help me out would be appreciated. have you ever thought of selling one?

Looks good Lou. Have you converted this car to 12 volts or are you using a dual voltage setup same as you P-15? Have you calculated your alternator speed with your new pulley set-up?

If the battery real estate is an issue you might be able to locate a battery similar in shape to the ones Buick used in the late 40's. It was about half as wide and twice as long as a standard P-15 battery.

I plan to do something similar on my '56 pickup. To further complicate matters, I also want power steering, and I'm going to use the same pump to provide power brakes (from a later GM pickup/van).

Lookin' for ideas on how/where to mount all the pieces, pump, compressor, alt.

I have a alternator from a Mitsubishi diesel truck that has a vacuum pump mounted on the back, sort of like the '50s generator/steering pump setups. I wonder it the drive would be robust enough to provide hydraulic power rather than vacuum???

Was also looking at putting a pump on the right side, but belt routing may be an issue.

Anyway, looking for ideas or past experiences.

Also, did the flat six ever get all this stuff from the factory, other than the generator mounted pump?????

I plan to do something similar on my '56 pickup. To further complicate matters, I also want power steering, and I'm going to use the same pump to provide power brakes (from a later GM pickup/van).

Lookin' for ideas on how/where to mount all the pieces, pump, compressor, alt.

I have a alternator from a Mitsubishi diesel truck that has a vacuum pump mounted on the back, sort of like the '50s generator/steering pump setups. I wonder it the drive would be robust enough to provide hydraulic power rather than vacuum???

Was also looking at putting a pump on the right side, but belt routing may be an issue.

Anyway, looking for ideas or past experiences.

Also, did the flat six ever get all this stuff from the factory, other than the generator mounted pump?????

I think i would wonder where the HP to drive all this is going to come from!:eek:

Actually very little horsepower is involved. The alternator uses the same as it always did and the compressor uses only 3 hp under a load- according to the compressor (sanden) people. I would guess about 8 at the max.

On my 48 sedan I run a 6 volt gen and a 12 volt alt and a compressor . -- Dual system. It is on a hopped up Asche engine and I really do not notice any difference.

The old reciprocating piston type compressor used about 10 to 12 hp but not the new rotary type

Lou

I was wondering if that narrow water pump pulley is stock? I have a somewhat similiar set up on my 1950 fargo pickup, but had to run a narrower than stock belt to match the compressor clutch groove. What I did was mount the compressor and alt on a plate the moves out and in to tighten the a/c belt, then the alt has a pivot point to tighten it back towards the block to tighten the alt belt off the a/c pulley

• 1 month later...