front suspension upgrade

james curl

At www.hotrodders.com is a bulletin board called "Hot Rodders Bulletin Board” which has a thread titled "Build Hot Rod How To Articles". In there is a thread called 37-57 Buick, Olds and Pontiac front suspension up grades where they adapt later upper and lower "A" frames and ball joint spindles to the original frame. I am working on a system for P15-D24 cars as they are very similar to the Buick, Olds and Pontiac in design. I am using 66 Chrysler Cordoba upper "A" frames and spindles, disc, and calipers. I have made an adapter to fit in the lower "A" frame to hold a Chrysler screw in balljoint and a 3/8"x3"x4" angle iron upper "A" frame adapter that bolts into the original upper mounting holes. Look at the article, lots of good ideas and all better than a MII or a Camaro clip.

• Like 2

Greg g, I hope this last post will get you into the article. I am doing something simular using Chrysler Cordoba upper arms, spindles and brakes using an adapter that I made to fit the lower "A". I installed one side on my 48 but could not get as much positive caster as I had hoped for and removed and replaced the stock parts, I was on my knees under the fender working for about two hours and that is too hard for an old man, be 72 tomorrow. I have an entire chassi for a 52 Dodge with engine and all running gear out at a friends place in the country,about 32 miles each way that I intend to mock up three different setups, one chrysler and two chevys. I think that once you see how simple the whole thing can be you could use just about any upper "A" frame and spindle with the disc brakes from any rear stear car. I appears the the upper "A" frame from any car with long bottom and short upper "A" arms will work even if they are offset. You could buy upper arms from Speedway out of their racing cataloge by picking the length and offset or no offset that suits you project. I hope the other post gets you into their site. I can get to it from my first post but then I posted it and my instructions might not be the best.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What are the shortcomings of our stock front suspension that need upgrading?

There are several great disc kits available, the parts for a complete rebuild are readily available, the shock relocation kit is simple as hell and several front sway bars can easily be retrofitted.

For those so inclined, a couple of R&P kits are also available.

To me the basic front end is still as good or better than any expensive retrofit.

I'm not trying to be a smartass, just wondering what the benefit is and if it's worth the expense?

Depending on how you design the lower ball joint mount and the height of the upper mount you can lower the front of the car as much as you want within reason. Also the later model suspension with the rubber mounts transmits less road noise into the car. Also I like ball joints in the steering.

• Like 1