New guy intro

rearview

Hi all. Just picked up a '52 Wayfarer that needs a little maintenance work, so while out stumbling through info and on the HAMB I found this place. Hands down the best collection of info on these old cars anywhere.

Already did some looking and found out about my odd-ball neg. ground 6v, valve adjusting, why I'm not going to switch to 12v (too much like work to be a hobby) and other sources for info.

Also downloaded the 2007 calendar. Absolutely fantastic.

I live in SE Wisconsin and work in the machine tool industry. Obviously, living in the buckle of the rust belt I didn't get the old Dodge nearby. Went down and drug it back from GA.

Previously had a 62 Fleetwood, but had to let it go years ago while apartment living because it wouldn't fit in the garage and I couldn't stand to see it exposed to the elements. Been into off-road trucks for the years in between, did just about everything I could there and moved back to the old cruisers recently.

Thanks to all for the help already provided by my overuse of the "search" function and the tech archives.

Welcome aboard. You're close to a couple of us. I live in Waukesha and Norm (AKA Norms Coupe) lives on the north side of the Milwaukee Metro area.

We have a gathering planned for Jan 20th (see "Upper Midwest Mopar Gathering" post in the "Announcements" section). If you're free then come on up.

Merle

Hey Rearview welcome aboard. You intor post said 6 V negative. Your car came from the factory as a positive ground vehicle. It will rund and drive with the battery reversed but might be a good idea to get it back to positive ground. also make sure you have some good beefy battery cables. A lot of cars have been switched over to 12 V style cables which causes problems with 6 V systems. especially the starter. So while you are tinkering with getting it back to good running condition, make sue you have some 0 or 00 gauge cables from the battery to the solenoid and from the solinoid to the starter. Makes a world of difference.

Greg G: Yes, it is set up as 6v neg ground right now. It seems to be ok and evertthing works, so I'm hesitant to change it back (if it ain't broke...) Also, funny you should mention the cables. She was very hard starting when I picked it up. I just picked up a new negative cable on sunday (local parts store will make 'em for ya) and it made such a huge difference that I went back tonight and bought the positive cables today. They made them out of very fine stranded 2 gauge (most 12v cables are 4 or 6)

Tim Adams: Sorry to pick one out of your pocket. I'm very happy so far.

Allan Faust: Gladly send you a hi res once it's back off the stands and old man winter moves on. It's just too "brown" around here to make anything look good. Also, it will be a distance shot... she's a 20-footer for sure.:D

Thanks for all the warm welcomes. Hopefully someday I'll be able to contribute a little myself here.