new radio and speaker

Dwight Pectol

Last April my radio went out on me so I took it to an old retired radio guy here locally to get it fixed and he was able to get it working again but it just wasn't quit right. I put up with it for a month or so and then just couldn't take it anymore. So on the 15th of Nov. I took it and the speaker out and sent the radio off to Bob's Radio In California and the speaker off to The Speaker Shop In Colorado Spring Colorado for a re-coning. Bob's radio said it would be 4 to 8 weeks to get it done and back to me and the speaker shop said about 4 weeks, well Wednesday the 13th of DEC. I got my radio back and on Friday the 15th I got my speaker back and today I have them installed in my car and have the same as a new radio and speaker and the best sound ever.

newradiodailface-1.jpg

So if anyone needs a radio redone I would highly recommend Bob's radio in California and to have the speaker re-coned, The Speaker Shop in Colorado Springs.....

The Phone number for the speaker shop is 419-475-2545.

The phone number for Bob's Radio is 805-489-8200

Very Happy Holidays To all DW

wk6driversidefinish.jpg

Dwight, did you get any additions to your radio done at Bob's or just the am repaired? Saw one in a T&C convert woodie done by Bob's with all the extra's but that was big bucks to have done.

Rodney mentioned a recone shop in FL awhile back and now I'm taking note of this one in CO. you mentioned. Mind if I ask what it runs to have the speaker reconed?

ED, The speaker re-coning was $30.00 and that included return shipping. I paid to ship it to him, about 5 bucks. Bob's reconditioning was $307.00 with shipping and he replaced a lot of stuff. Everything works great.

Norm, I didn't have the FM conversion or any of the extras done. I have had my 6 volt positive ground wiring all redone and it is in excellent working order and I plan on staying with it.. DW

Guest Nelsons Ply

My radio was repaired by Bobs radio.

It works great.

I agree with Norm on the fix if you are not sure on what your plans for the car is.

But if you plan to stay orginal it not to bad.

I am not one that always has the thing on.

I just wont what the car has on it to work.

The sound of the flathead is music to my ears.

Also, I had Bob's Radio restore my 802 as well. That was about three years ago and I think he charged me $195. My radio was in perfect shape cosmetically so that wasn't an issue. Best part is, Bob's is right up the road from me so I was able to drop it off and pick it up to avoid the hefty shipping charges. Too bad these 802's are so heavy. It really adds up in the shipping. Enjoy!!

Dwight-

I couldn't use my old radio because it was in the way of the new 12v wiper motor. Plus, as I've mentioned before, all we get out here on AM is talk radio, Spanish and other languages I can't figure out so I figured why bother even restoring it. What I've done is completely remove the back portion of the radio (case and tubes) and kept the front part that houses the dial, station buttons and light. I use it as a dummy so that it looks as if the radio is working. What I will do next is use a modern tuner with CD and Mp3 player and have the music play out of the old, reconned speaker. I may put a couple speakers in the back, but haven't decided yet. If we got good AM stations out here that played oldies from the 40's and 50's, then I would have figured something out. The only thing is that with the absense of the tube radio, I won't get that mellow, amplified sound that only comes from tube radios.

I hear what you all are saying with regard to converting and the cost. I drive my car and sometimes I take long trips in them , the one thing I like having is a radio . It tell of traffic and weather conditions as well as music. F.M. is important and you can find something on them. I like listening to pacifica radio here we have wpfw and they like the blues and jazz I am a contributer as well because when I am down in the country working on my cars I listen to the station as well, they have a good broadcast antenna so I can pick it up clear. That 500.00 may seem steep however once you go soild state all that tube stuff is past. just 2 cents :P

David' date=' That place in Florida has been around since at least 1995 that I know of. Like you said though, $500 is a little on the high side. I don't listen to the radio in my modern cars so $500 is really on the high side for someone like me. Like Darin, my radio lights up so that's enough for me. I had the radio out since late August or September. Also removed the speaker at the same time. I did put the radio back in to fill up the hole, but the speaker is still in the cabinet in the shop. It's funny that Darin mentioned just using the light and face. I've thought about doing the same in my car. That radio doesn't leave much room to work under the dash.[/quote']

Norm...how I look at it is that I probably saved myself $500 to basically have something that looks and sounds like something someone paid the $500 for to have restored radio. No one hardly listens to AM radio anymore anyway...at least for music.