What rear end to use in a 48 Dodge?

windsor8

What donor car rear end would you guys recommend to use in a 48 Dodge? Running a pretty much stock 318 with a 904 tranny. Thanks

I beleive Chebby wheel bolt patterns are different than Mopar so you will need to have a solution to this with a Nova rear end. I have a 46 Dodge business coupe doing a similar swap (magnum 360),same rear as yours, and just measured it. Spring perches center-to-center = 47",wheel track = 62", housing flange-to-flange = 56 3/4". The stock brake backing plates have essentially no "backspacing" with very narrow rear brake shoes. I will be using a mopar 8 3/4" rear end to keep the bolt pattern the same front and rear.

According to Tex Smith in How to Build CPD Hotrods (pg 76), 71-74 B body 8 3/4 rears have the same track and the spring perch c/c = 47.3" (with wider perches for the wider springs), no listing for flange-to-flange. If you keep the narrow 48 springs, the 0.3" difference is easy to adjust for.

With the 318 an 8 1/4 rear end would be adequate, unless you are going wild with a performance engine build-up. These are sometimes easier to find in junkyards. Tex lists the dimensions for this B body rear end as identical to the 8 3/4 and shows brake flange-to-flange as 57.8". Depending on rear brake width, the brake backing plates will have different "backspacing". A half inch backspacing on each side will make the distance between the backing plates essentially identical to stock. One inch backspacing will make the distance 1 inch narrower than stock, but this will still easily fit between the inner body wheel wells.

Hope this helps.

• 12 years later...

Unless your original is bad, I'd be tempted to leave it.  But, upgrade the trans to the OD version of the 904, don't remember the model.  Good highway gearing, but still have the lower rear gear for excellent acceleration when needed.

Parking brake, if that is a concern, can be handled by either a pinion mounted disk or adapting later drum brakes complete.

4 hours ago, kencombs said:

Unless your original is bad, I'd be tempted to leave it.  But, upgrade the trans to the OD version of the 904, don't remember the model.  Good highway gearing, but still have the lower rear gear for excellent acceleration when needed.

Parking brake, if that is a concern, can be handled by either a pinion mounted disk or adapting later drum brakes complete.

4 hours ago, kencombs said:

5 hours ago, ROBERT ROBERT said:

Thanks for the quick reply.

The 1950 Ply only has 45,000 miles on it. So the rear is in great shape. It has a 3:90 gear.

The OD sounds great, will it bolt up to the stock 218 6 in my 1950 Ply.

Robert

No, it won't directly fit.  I was responding to the guy with the 318 and 904 already installed

However, I still prefer a lower gear and OD.  Lots of possibilities.  I have an A833 OD from a late 70s Dodge van for my project.

Others have use Ford Ranger and GM t5s to get  OD.  Or, the BW 3sp w/od was available in the 50s Mopars as an option  That one is a boltin

If you want an auto, adapters are available, but pricy!

8 hours ago, kencombs said:

No, it won't directly fit.  I was responding to the guy with the 318 and 904 already installed

However, I still prefer a lower gear and OD.  Lots of possibilities.  I have an A833 OD from a late 70s Dodge van for my project.

Others have use Ford Ranger and GM t5s to get  OD.  Or, the BW 3sp w/od was available in the 50s Mopars as an option  That one is a boltin

If you want an auto, adapters are available, but pricy!

I have a 1939 Ply. Shell Oil Truck W/ 1956 Dodge  270 Poly W/ TH 350 trans. I used a adapter Hot Heads, about $ 400.00

2004_0523SHELLOILTRUCK20011.jpg

2004_0101NEWPICGASTRUCK0001.JPG

• Like 1

I'll suggest that using housing width or wheel track numbers will not be as efficient as using the WMS numbers: wheel mounting surface. 

Axles projection from the housing will certainly vary between various makes/models and the wheel track is determined by the wheel.

If your housing is 56¾ flange to flange (noted above) you can guess that each side adds 2" for the WMS.  Best bet is to measure the WMS.

Here are some additional axle widths to consider: http://www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com/?page_id=1023