Project 48 build thread

falconvan

Decided to do the back windows first. The window regulators were complete junk and future plans call for A/C so we decided just to make these fixed windows. The almost 70 year old glass cleaned up good; just ran them through the dishwasher a couple of times. I made some new steel glass channels and permanently mounted them with an adjustable bracket to hold the glass snug against the window fuzzy and in the new rubber channel.

IMG_1110.JPG

IMG_1111.JPG

IMG_1112.JPG

IMG_1113.JPG

Edited by falconvan

2 hours ago, pflaming said:

What did the seats come out of?  It's enjoyable to visit others shop builds via this medium. TKS or updating. 

Thanks, Paul. They came out of a Dodge Omni but I don't think I'm going to use them. I'm looking at a set of new early Mustang style bucket seats from Speedway. I can buy two of those new in the color I want for less than having these recovered.

When I first put the frame together several years ago I decide to use an 87 Dakota 8.25 rear end. The backing plate measurement was good but I had neglected to measure the wheel mounting surface. Stock 6" wide wheels fit great on it but I've struggled finding an aftermarket wheel offset to fit with wider tires that wouldn't rub the inner fender because of the wide drums. I finally gave up and decided to switch to an Explorer rear end. This one came from an Eddie Bauer Edition Explorer so it's got a 4:10 limited slip and disc brakes. This fits much better; just need to pull it back out for final welding on the spring pads and some paint. After later doing this swap in my 51 and my 49; I wished I had done this car in the first place, anyway.

IMG_1122.JPG

IMG_1123.JPG

IMG_1124.JPG

LeftSide.JPGI have a 78 Camaro rear under my P-15 coupe,and it is a perfect fit with the Rallye wheels. I believe they are 8 inches wide,but my memory ain't what it used to be.

Edited by knuckleharley

3 hours ago, falconvan said:

Nice, Chevy rally wheels look good on it.

Thanks,I like them,too. The "smooth and round" seemed like a real match.

Don't bring Paul into this conversation!

He can no longer play with matches according to his wife. None in his house ( or garage) along with no cats! :lol:

DJ

• Like 1

Got the rear end back in today; just need to get one brake line, bleed the brakes, and hook up the driveshaft. I've also decided to do something different with the front brakes. I bought a used disc brake kit years ago that a guy had on his 48 when he totaled it. They fit good but the used a stamped bearing spacer for the GM rotors that changed the track width, plus I was always concerned that if that spacer would start turning, it would ruin the spindle. Now that I did the Explorer conversion on my 51; I'm going to change this one over, too. Then the whole braking system will be Explorer with all off the shelf parts.

IMG_1130.JPG

Edited by falconvan

20 minutes ago, falconvan said:

Got the rear end back in today; just need to get one brake line, bleed the brakes, and hook up the driveshaft. I've also decided to do something different with the front brakes. I bought a used disc brake kit years ago that a guy had on his 48 when he totaled it. They fit good but the used a stamped bearing spacer for the GM rotors that changed the track width, plus I was always concerned that if that spacer would start turning, it would ruin the spindle. Now that I did the Explorer conversion on my 51; I'm going to change this one over, too. Then the whole braking system will be Explorer with all off the shelf parts.

IMG_1130.JPG

Having matching parts front and rear is a smart move. Beats the hell out of trying to remember what you have where when broke down away from home and needing to buy repair parts.

The last time I did this brake swap, people asked for some more detail so basically here it is. I took the original front drums and cut the rivets to separate the drum from the hub. The rotor is from a 2000 Ford Explorer and it slides perfectly over the hub after you grind about 1/32" off the outer hub edge. Then I got some 2 1/8" x 7/16" x 20 wheel studs for the hub to use in place of the original lug bolts. You don't have to do this, you can use the original lug bolts if you want. I had an aftermarket disc setup with a bracket for GM calipers already; I just trimmed it and redrilled holes in the right place for the 2000 Ford Explorer brake caliper bracket. A couple of 1/2" spacers between the bracket and the caliper bracket, and it bolts right up. I used some 1/2" nuts and just drilled out the threads. I'm also using the Ford Explorer brake hose. This is about as cheap and easy as it gets; The calipers, caliper bracket, and hoses came from the boneyard and I bought a couple new rotors and pads from O'Rielys for less than $100.

IMG_1132.JPG

IMG_1134.JPG

IMG_1135.JPG

IMG_1136.JPG

IMG_1139.JPG

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

Hey Falconvan,

I used the same rear axle in my 47.  If you didn't cut the sway bar brackets off the axle tubes, the factory explorer sway bar is an easy fit.  Need to make upper frame brackets and bolt it together.

Adam

Great idea, i hadn't thought of that. I'll have to pick one up next time I'm at the boneyard. Here's the other side.

IMG_0151.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you all had a great turkey day. I had 4 days off so I finished the brakes, put the tail lights on and finished all that wiring, and finished building the exhaust. The bumpers are pretty rough but I don't want to spend the dough on a re-chrome right now so they are going to get painted silver for now. The goal now is have this thing on the road this spring even if I have to go back and finish some odds and ends later.

IMG_1141.JPG

IMG_1140.JPG

Wish I had seen your thread before I started my 46 Ply...  Would have saved me a year or so..  Biggest mistake I made was assuming the convertible had the same frame as the other models.

3 minutes ago, falconvan said:

I didn't know they were different, either. Does the convertible have an X member?

Yes to stiffen it up since the car doesn't have the support of the roof.