Project 48 build thread

falconvan

Great job!  Certainly you are proud of the achievement, as you should be.  Nice reward for the cost and the hours of labor and decision making,.   Atta boys from the masses are the frosting on the cake.

On 5/16/2017 at 9:26 AM, falconvan said:

Thanks! Got some really nice comments from most people and a little good natured ribbing about putting a  Chevy engine in a Mopar but I figured that was coming.

Car looks great!  I really love that interior, can't go wrong with Cardinal red.  I hear the same stuff about the 350 in my dodge, but funny thing is if I leave the hood shut no one says a word. 

You have any plans to travel with it this summer?

• 1 year later...

good evening gentlemen I love this site I have one question what rearend are you guys using ? , I met a guy who said he used a 73 fury & that its a bolt in no pad mods & he was able to use stock wheels , thanks in advance pontiacray p.s. mine is a 47 special deluxe 4 door 99%rust free

Very impressive. I have a pair of 2010 Lincoln Towncar buckets in my suburban. It doesn't tip forward either. So will fabricate a front axle pivot frame with self locking rear legs, then will put a safety switch on the rear that kills the engine if the seat is not locked down.

IMG_5884.JPG

• 5 months later...

Haven't posted on this in a couple years but it's finally back on the road after a long stretch of dry dock. It developed a hideous noise that seemed to be coming from around the torque converter. After having the trans in and out a few times I decide to change it to a four speed manual trans and then realized it was not the trans but the LS motor devouring the rear cam bearing and the cam. So after much frustration and letting it sit for a while I sold off all the LS stuff and just bought a new base 350 crate motor from GM. Been driving it around for a few weeks now and finally seem to have all the gremlins out of it.

20190803_174033.jpg

48 console.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good!! I'm surprised about the LS problems. Those have a reputation of being pretty well bullet-proof. I admit, though; that I personally like the earlier engines better. Kinda hard to argue with something that's been successful since 1955. Did you use a hydraulic throw out bearing assembly?

2 hours ago, MackTheFinger said:

Looking good!! I'm surprised about the LS problems. Those have a reputation of being pretty well bullet-proof. I admit, though; that I personally like the earlier engines better. Kinda hard to argue with something that's been successful since 1955. Did you use a hydraulic throw out bearing assembly?

Thanks, I used a standard Chevy throwout bearing and a slave cylinder conversion kit from Novak. Very cool piece. 

10 hours ago, falconvan said:

So after much frustration and letting it sit for a while I sold off all the LS stuff and just bought a new base 350 crate motor from GM.

Too bad you didn't take the opportunity to install a Mopar crate motor.......:(

10 hours ago, falconvan said:

20190803_174033.jpg

48 console.jpg

If I could go back to the beginning I’d definitely use a Mopar engine. But to do it now would have meant a different transmission, cross member, driveshaft, fabricating new motor mounts , etc. Didn’t want to get into that, this was basically a bolt it with few mods.

7 hours ago, falconvan said:

If I could go back to the beginning I’d definitely use a Mopar engine. But to do it now would have meant a different transmission, cross member, driveshaft, fabricating new motor mounts , etc. Didn’t want to get into that, this was basically a bolt it with few mods.

If I was doing a V-8 conversion I'd use a small block Chevy because I like them and over the years have accumulated several. Are they the absolute best engine in the whole wide world? Possibly not but nothing else is, either.

Happy Labor Day!!?

• Like 1