Project 48 build thread

falconvan

I figured there's no way I'd have time to touch my 48 until at least the fall, but here I was outside last week cleaning out the 48 and taking off body mount bolts. I'm starting a build thread on it just to keep myself organized and to get some input from you guys. That keeps me motivated more than anything. The latest plan goes like this; the frame is pretty much done although after having the front end setup looked at by a reputable shop, it looks like I'm going to have to redo the rack & pinion. They said the type of rack I used and the way I've got it mounted is going to create bumpsteer problems. So I'm going to try a kit from Fatman's fabrications. Engine is going to be a 5.3 Gen III Chevy with a MSD/Edelbrock intake and ignition kit for a carb conversion. Probably a bigger cam and some headers. Trans is a 700r4. My wife gets to pick the color and she wants 05' Mustang Redfire exterior, tan interior, and A/C. The body is off of the frame and on the body cart, soon to head to the media blaster. I have a 47 four door body to use for patch panels as the floor need attention. I originally started on the four door but ran across this two door after I finished the chassis, so since the chassis is the same, we decided to switch to the coupe body. I sold a bunch of the four door stuff and have a car fund going. So here we go, I'm going to shoot for about an 18 month completion date. Thanks for tuning in; I get a lot of great info off this site.:D

post-2128-13585347657948_thumb.jpg

post-2128-1358534765829_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585347658564_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585347658906_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585347659241_thumb.jpg

Edited by falconvan

• 4 months later...

I've got a fair amount done since last entry. I got the coupe body sandblasted and will be starting on the bodywork before long. I just finished putting the engine back together. I went with a ZO6 GM performance Parts cam & springs and a set of shorty headers. No intake yet but other than that it's pretty much done. Next order of business is to get the floor pans cut out of the 47 sedan body I have and get it out to make some room. Also I have to redo the rack & pinion; I tried using a MII with a crossmember but fatman's has a much better setup with a Cavalier rack so we're going with that. If anybody wants a patch panel from that 47, you've got about a week to let me know and then its off to the scrapheap. Youre welcome to it for free if you want it.

post-2128-13585348431049_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585348431448_thumb.jpg

I got the sedan cut up today for the patch panels I'll need. Got the whole floor, cowl, and the tailpiece. I took Thursday and Friday off this week so it's time to start bodywork. It should keep me busy for a while, I'll keep posting progress.

post-2128-13585348440223_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585348440459_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585348466608_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585348466904_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585348467235_thumb.jpg

Nice nice, keep us posted falcon. Please tell me more about that Fatman r&p setup? I'd rather not touch my own originals, but it might later turn into necessity with new engine, remains to be seen

They use a 88-96 Chevy Cavalier Rack and Ford Explorer tie rod ends. The kit comes with weld on mounting brackets and tie rod adaptors for $225; the rack and tie rods ends you buy yourself. I talked to a few guys that have used them and it was all thumbs up.

• Like 1

falconvan

I bought the fatman kit and now regret it. I love my Cavalier rack and pinion, but I do not like the tie rod ends tha Fatman gives you. I made my own and am very happy.

tierodendsmall.jpg

Use the inside tie rod end (ES60R) and then cut off 3 1/2 inches of the original tie rod. Tap the cut off end for 18X1.5 right. Screw in the Cavalier adjusting screw and back weld it. Cut a little of the ES60R threaded end if necessary. Now you have an adjusting link and using original stuff. The mount for the rack is made from some 1" square tubing and a couple of pieces of 1/4 in plate.

The only thing you have to buy is the rack and pinion (get it complete) and the universal joints. Fatman will sell you these and lots of other places.

Good luck

kai

falconvan

I have a P18, thus I think they all came with a front sway bar.

The only problem I have with the stearing is the turning radius. One of these days I plan on having made, or finding, a set of shorter stearing arms on the wheels. A lot of times here in Mexico, where the streets are narrow and the corners tight, I have to make a second cut at the corner. I have finally learned how to get in the driveway with one turn.

photo of "Essie" is below.

kai

This side went much easier than the first. I had to go back to the other one and do it a little different, as a matter of fact. These "factory reproduction outer rocker panels" don't fit worth a darn. But I'll use them anyway. Everything you'll see looks Ok, just the bottom lip isn't bent right. More to come soon, I'm concentrating on getting the rockers and the floor finished first.

post-2128-13585348477586_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585348478028_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585348478418_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585348478641_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585348478896_thumb.jpg

This came out better than I'd hoped. Thanks for the comments, everyone! I finished the drivers rocker and test fit the doors. Both looked good. I took the whole floor section from the sedan and cut the sides back 2" and cleaned up the ends of the floor braces. Luckily enough, the sedan and the coupe floor measure the same from front to back. Then I cleaned up all the mating edges and slid it right into place. Now I just weld the whole thing all the way around. i still need to make front pans, those were bad on both cars.

post-2128-13585348481208_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585348481503_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585348481755_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585348481947_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585348482326_thumb.jpg

Cool! Glad to see you over here. You want old Mopar info, this is the place to be. I think this site and CHR are the best ones out there. It's a great way to keep your progress documented and keep yourself motivated.

Yes you are right this is a great site. I have not been on it in a LONG time. I have a Chrysler Windsor but I like this site better than the Chrysler one because the forums here are easier to follow than the Yahoo ones. Last year or so I went to Concord, NC here to the show they put on here from this website and met a bunch of the guys here like Don and the rest. Great bunch of guys. They wanted to tow my 46 up there and work on it but I just started a new job that week so couldn't already take a day off. Anyways, I dont want to get off topic here but good luck and hopefully you can stay motivated to finish it!