Project 48 build thread

falconvan

Thanks!  Got the headliner and carpet in over the last week; will be starting on door panels shortly. Headliner came out OK; this is the second one I've done and it's looks better than the first but still a few wrinkled areas I had a hard time working out. For the price, I can live with it.

IMG_1218.JPG

IMG_1216.JPG

Didn't get as far as I hoped this week but it's getting close. I was having a lot of trouble getting the foam carved into the shape I wanted for the front seats so I put those aside for now and bought these buckets off of Ebay. May finish the others up later and keep these for something else. I was getting frustrated and decided to just let someone else do them but the local upholstery shops said they were 2-3 months out because everyone wants their cars done at the beginning of spring. The back is coming much better; hopefully I'll have it done this week or next. Back door panels and kick panels are done along with a mile long miscellaneous list. I spent five days doing 10-12 hour days on it and have to be at work Monday so I'm taking a couple days breather.

IMG_1222.JPG

IMG_1223.JPG

IMG_1224.JPG

IMG_1225.JPG

IMG_1227.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

First trip down the road today!!!! Plenty of little bugs to work out but pretty satisfied; it ran good, all the gears work, and it stops. Upholstery wise all I have left is to cover the backseat and make some sill plates and a few trim pieces. 

IMG_1231.JPG

IMG_1232.JPG

• Like 1

What's next in line if you sell this when completed? It's the wife's is it not?  ^_^

She must like something else more?

Is there another in the pipeline as I cannot believe how fast you get these old cars done, even if they sat for some time between working on them.:)

Just kiddin' mostly except for the  envious of the speed and quality of your work, great!

DJ

14 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

What's next in line if you sell this when completed? It's the wife's is it not?  ^_^

She must like something else more?

Is there another in the pipeline as I cannot believe how fast you get these old cars done, even if they sat for some time between working on them.:)

Just kiddin' mostly except for the  envious of the speed and quality of your work, great!

DJ

Thanks! No, can't sell this one. It was a gift from good friend 9 years ago with the promise that I would finish it and keep it. As far as my next one, my shop truck is an 86 Astrovan with a small block chevy; it's getting a set of Vortec heads, an aluminum intake, and I'm changing out the 700r4 for an NV3500 5 speed.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to take a shot at making some sill plates. I used 1/8" cold rolled steel plate and got the rubber from a place called RubberCal. Not as nice as original ones but they came out decent and I think it's a good budget option. 

IMG_1233.JPG

IMG_1235.JPG

IMG_1236.JPG

IMG_1237.JPG

IMG_1238.JPG

IMG_1239.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Got the car cleaned up and been cruising around for the last few days; a few little bugs to work out but really happy with it. I took it over to the original owner's house and took him for a ride; he was really happy to see it going again. That's him in the last picture. Last time he drove it was around 1980 and it was parked after that.

IMG_1246.JPG

IMG_1247.JPG

IMG_1248.JPG

IMG_1249.JPG

IMG_1250.JPG

IMG_1251.JPG

IMG_0296.jpg

• Like 6

You talk about replacing those seats.

WHY?

1 minute ago, falconvan said:

They do look nice but are not the most comfortable. You're sitting bolt upright and the also don't hinge forward to let anyone in the back seat.

upright is comfortable with me and my back. The front seat backs not folding forward does suck,though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...