a couple of odd questions

arclightzero

Ok, here's a couple of silly questions, but bothersome none-the-less

First, was an oil filter not standard equipment on a P15? I was looking at the owners manual which clearly shows an oil filter and covers filter maintenance, but when I pop the hood and look there's nothing in the spot where the filter canister should be. If that is indeed the case, does anybody know where I might be able to locate a filter assembly that would be somewhat close to original?

Second, as far as I can tell, I have 2 original wheels and 2 non. They're the same style except the 2 non-original wheels are missing the brackets that hold on the dog dishes. Does anybody know if those brackets are available anywhere, or how they attached to the wheel? Or will I need to find 2 more original wheels?

Thanks!!

I believe oil filters were still considered "optional" back then. My 1950 truck didn't have a filter when I aquired it. I found a filter assembly on Ebay. That may be your best bet.

The hub cap clips are riveted to the rims, and I don't know of anyone that is reproducing them. You may need to search for some original rims.

Merle

Guest Jerry Callahan

Where can I find the specs. for a 1952 (B-3-C) 2/4 ton pick-up?

Engine specs., correct plugs, correct tire size, rear end ratio, etc, etc

Where can I find the specs. for a 1952 (B-3-C) 2/4 ton pick-up?

Engine specs., correct plugs, correct tire size, rear end ratio, etc, etc

Engine should be a 218 CID flat head 6 cylinder.

I believe I'm running Autolite 306 plugs. You can have your local auto parts person look up the correct plugs from their catalogs. Some don't go back far enough, but the good ones do.

Do you have 15" rims? That was standard in the 3/4 ton trucks. I'm having 235 75R15's mounted on my wheels. They should be close to the same overall diameter as the original 7.00 - 15's.

Standard diff ratio was 4.10:1, but others were available as options.

If you want to know more about your truck, I suggest you go to your local book store and get a copy of this book. It's the Bible of Pilot-House trucks.

Book.jpg

Guest Jerry Callahan

Thanks, Merle.

Is your truck a 4 speed with 1st being a granny gear? Mine says "Job Rated" on the front. It needs some work. One of the valves is sticking, so I'm trying an old school way to free it up. I pulled the plugs and put a cap full of auto. trans. fluid each cylinder. I'll let it soak for a week or so and then crank it up with some new plugs. If that doesn't work I may have to have a valve job.

My truck is a 1950 (B2C) 3/4 ton with a 4 speed and Fluid Drive. The front of my truck looks like the one pictured on the cover of the book.

I've heard that sometimes if you can get it up to operating temperature that a sticky valve will loosen up.

Good Luck,

Merle

If you can get it running and up to temp you can try dumping some Marvel Mystery oil down the carb throat. That may loosen up a sluggish valve. Don't try this near your neighbor's house or if your wife has wash hanging out to dry! Been there done-that! Good luck. Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a pic of a 15 inch 50s Plymouth rim. The clips are sort of triangular,

held on with a rivet. I took some clips from other old Mopar rims and attached them with small nuts and bolts. I put the nut on the inside of the

rim. You can knock out the old rivets with a hammer and punch. If you

have a source, you can get new rivets to mount the clips with.

100_8254.jpg

• 1 month later...

i have a friend who is restoring a packard straight 8, and after it first started, he thought he might have a sticky valve. eventually he found that thhe valve had been adjusted too tight and was riding on the lifter. he got the adjustment set right, and it went away.

just something to check if the oils dont work and your not anxious to pull the head

sorry guys, i'm having trouble posting an independant question so i'm running off this one. I just towed home a 41 desoto (3 window coupe) and am pulling out the 228 (it's a gonner) in it and am going to drop in a freshly built 230 from a 50 Dodge. Both are fluid drive but the 41 has a simplimatic tranny. My question is although the 228 block is visibly longer, is this going to be a major problem? I guess 1 inch or 10 inches, off is off.