Have nothing to say

teardrop puller

My daughter in law returned yesterday from a week in Mexico. While there she lost her drivers license or possibly it was stolen. She had to take a cab (at a cost of fifty bucks) to go to the American Counsel office only to arrive after they closed. So she got to return the next day and spend another fifty bucks for the cab. The American Counselor recommended she get a police report. So she went to the local police station and found it was just like in the movies. Cockroaches crawling across the floor and the officer in civvies (not in a uniform). She was able to get them to write a report by pressing two and using a translator. The American Counselor also suggested she "run" across the boarder in order to return to the good ole USA as there would be less hassle that way. As she was leery of doing this she attempted to return the legal way. She had to use her Sams Club card with her picture on it in order to get home. Now she must deal with potential problem of identity theft.

Don

Was it a tourist trap or a border town? It sounds like she was in one of the tourist traps. My wife has lost her purse 5 times down here, we now check carefully if she has it or she leaves it in the car, and it has been returned every time with everything in it. So all places are not bad. I guess if you go to parts of Miami or DC and check it out. Oh yes, roaches are a way of life in the tropics. I have not learned to make them a pet yet, but who knows.

If you want to see real Mexico, I will meet you in Brownsville and bring you to a beautiful place, Tecolutla, Veracruz. It is a Mexican tourist town, so we have lots of facilities without the Gringos. Actually any one interested in a warmer place for the winter, I have friends that have places to set your camper. Teardropping is the best way I have found to see Mexico!

Get here before the 24th and you can help this old guy make his rounds. We do about 1600 bags of candy for the kids. The sleigh is pulled by an old Empire tractor.

santa.jpg

Sorry that your daughter in law had a bad time.

kai

Good gosh, in my recollections of Mexico, fifty bucks would take you anywhere in the country and home again by cab, and the gentleman driving would carry your baggage to the lobby and watch over it until you checked in. But it's reassuring to know that a Sam's card will get you back to the land of milk and plenty.

I'd like to hear more of how that came down. What town was she visiting? does she speak any Spanish?

My daughter in law returned yesterday from a week in Mexico. While there she lost her drivers license or possibly it was stolen. She had to take a cab (at a cost of fifty bucks) to go to the American Counsel office only to arrive after they closed. So she got to return the next day and spend another fifty bucks for the cab. The American Counselor recommended she get a police report. So she went to the local police station and found it was just like in the movies. Cockroaches crawling across the floor and the officer in civvies (not in a uniform). She was able to get them to write a report by pressing two and using a translator. The American Counselor also suggested she "run" across the boarder in order to return to the good ole USA as there would be less hassle that way. As she was leery of doing this she attempted to return the legal way. She had to use her Sams Club card with her picture on it in order to get home. Now she must deal with potential problem of identity theft.

Over $100 I think. Last time I returned, on foot at an unnamed quiet border town, we waited patiently for a little while hoping the officers would return to their post to check us in (they look to see if you got your hand stamped when leaving). Eventually we realized they were not around, so we shrugged and trudged back into the USA hugging our load of tequila.:eek:

Remember, starting january, you will need the passaport before going to mexico. I wonder how much that cost!:eek:

I think that the passport thing has been delayed if you are not flying in. Flying-yes, driving-no.

You do need a birth certificate or something like that to get your visa at the border. You will need your car registration and drivers licence to get your car in. No hassle, just time to get it done.

kai