6vdc Positive Ground Alternator in my P15

Chester Brzostowski

I installed a "Single Wire" High Output 6vdc Positive Ground Alternator in the P15 today. For a Blow the Blow click on the link below.

Alternator03.jpg

Blow by Blow… http://www.chetscoins.com/1948p15/2006/12092006.htm

Tks Lou Earle for part info... I also plan to install this in my 29 Plymouth. Chet... :)

Looks good Chet. Any trouble with frostbite working on the car in this weather or do you have a heated garage up in Delaware?

Jim

Jim,

I insulated the garage over the summer and installed a 60 amp service last spring so with the aid of the sun and a space heater it was pretty comfortable to work in. In order to put in the electric I rented a trench digger and laid down 90 feet of PVC. The year before last I used a kerosene heater. The electric cost more but is easier on the lungs. Actually the weather out here was pretty pleasant in the afternoon.

Looks good Chet;

Interesting that your alternator is black. I dont think I have ever seen an alternator made from anything but aluminum. Is yours painted black?

Your lower mount looks good.

Alternator01.jpg

I had to add a couple of "ears" to my lower mount to fix the problem (you mentioned) with battery box clearance. In the picture below it appears you also had to add ears to the lower bracket but it is difficult to tell for sure.

Alternator03.jpg

As you can see in this picture the ears change the lower pivot point allowing the alternator to sit closer to the engine.

4.jpg

And even with the alternator sitting closer to the engine battery box clearance is very close.

altin1.jpg

Is the pulley on your alternator designed for the wide belt? It is difficult to see in the pictures. If it is not you can buy wide belt pulleys from several vendors on the net. Also looks like the diameter of your pulley is smaller than the one I use. This will make your alternator spin faster but it should not hurt anything. Does your alternator begin charging as soon as you start the engine or does it work like my alternator and not begin the charging cycle until the engine spins around 1200 RPM's. Once the charging cycle starts on my alternator it will charge at idle and all engine speeds until the next time the engine is turned off. Then on restarting the engine I must once again hit 1200 RPM's to excite the alternator and start the charging cycle all over again.

Don,

If I used a smaller belt the install would be perfect. Yes it has the wide pulley so it will work great with the 29 also. The ears you are referring to came with the alternator along with a tensioning bracket which I didn’t use. The alternator is a retrofit for a Modal A Ford it was out of the box, Black. The small diameter pulley will provide 30 amps of good charge after 800 rpms. The model A is a low rpm motor like the 29 Plymouth.

Alternator03.jpg

Basically if I used a smaller belt the install would be perfect.

I plan to use it in the 29 once I attach the fan to the alternator pulley. I need to fabricate a flange for the pulley. It really works great. 6vdc problem free. With the alternator working I had to tweak down the idle a bit. I guess I am finally getting a good solid 6 volts with a strong spark.

Hey Chet,

Do you have a weblink to the supplier for this alternator?

It certainly looks like the way to go.

Especially as I spend so much time at idle in London traffic!!!

Robin,

I got it from Mike's "A" Ford-Able Parts web link http://www.mikes-afordable.com

The link to the right page: http://www.mikes-afordable.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=MFP&Category_Code=1068

Third item down..

Here is a link to an outfit that will sell you a modified alternator (delco Remy, GM 10si) or the kit to convert your own to 6 volt positive ground. At the bottom of the page are a couple of pictures and an explanation on how they accomplish this task.

http://www.alternatorparts.com/6_volt_alternators_&_kits.htm

Tks for the great info. Very helpful if you have an existing Alternator. Just a quick FYI.. on the one from Mike's. ( believe me I have no connection with this vender. )

The pulley on the Alternator is the large format for the large belts normally found in the P15. The pulley is also removable.

The Alternator is rated at 60 Amps.

The bracket that comes with the Alternator will work with the P15 with only one modification to the existing generator mount.

Just an FYI.... The hardest thing about upgrading to this Alternator was getting the bolt off the water pump to reverse the mounting arm.