Electronic Ignition Revisited

Guest mjmcorbett

Guest mjmcorbett

I thank the guy who told to try a distributor from a 225 slant 6 in my 251 flattie (works on the 230 also). With disassembly and reassembly useing the 251 shaft and some minor fileing, I've got a great distributor. It doesn't stop there. The Pertronix module drops right in and the 40,000 volt "flamethrower" coil will be here in a few days. It runs smoother and better with just the module in place. The dist is slightly larger than the stock dist but it is the same 'design', mopar, I'll post a pic here next week after the new coil and wires are in. It is a cool deal.

Mike C.

Think it was me who mentioned it. Would have like to see pics of the fitments and modifications you made to get it to go. Some one also said that the mopar electronic stuff will work on 6 volts if anybody would like to confirm that.

Guest mjmcorbett

I'll do the pics later. Here is what I did. The object is to switch the main shafts and turn down the houseing to fit into your flattie 230-251 block. You first comlpetely disassemble both distributors. The houseing of the 225 where it enters the block needs to be turned down about .030 (match diameter of the 230-251 distributor) It can be done very carefully with a smooth wide file or a lathe is better. I also filed a notch all the way around matching the 230-251 and drilled a hole matching the 230-251 to provide the same oil lubrication to the shaft. Reassemble the 225 but use the shaft from the 230-251. You must remove the 6 lobed points cam and use the 225 cam on the 230-251 shaft. It has a snap ring to hold it in place located under the felt pad under the rotar cap. It is a tricky booger to get out but it will come out ! When reinsstalling the shaft retainer where the shaft enters the distributor houseing, I used the reuseable pin from the 225. It's much easier. Be sure to use the shims and spacers from the 230-251 to minimize play in the shaft (standard practices). When installing the distributor, I used the 230-251 mounting plate. I preferred the location of the vacuum canister locaton that way. Reinstall the plug wires getting them in the right location per #1 . Time it and go ! I Purchased a new vacuum can just to make sure it was good.

Thats about it. Use stock 225 points and condenser or change out to electronic.

Happy Motoring,

Mike Corbett

(aka Mike C.)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

put an electronic slant 6 dizzy in my Dodge 230. I wired it to a Ford electronic ign module,..... ( found it in my junk box ) it works great. Like previous posts I turned down the slant 6 dizzy to fit the hole in my block. I cut off the slant 6 end shaft and welded a spare mopar shaft to the electronic dizzy. Only question I have is I have not determined how close the the mechanical and vacuum advance compares to my old dizzy.

It works,.... starts fast,.... and my 54 Dodge 230 has new life,...... by the way this engine resides in a 1941 Fargo pickup.

Good luck with your fabrication.

I thank the guy who told to try a distributor from a 225 slant 6 in my 251 flattie (works on the 230 also). With disassembly and reassembly useing the 251 shaft and some minor fileing, I've got a great distributor. It doesn't stop there. The Pertronix module drops right in and the 40,000 volt "flamethrower" coil will be here in a few days. It runs smoother and better with just the module in place. The dist is slightly larger than the stock dist but it is the same 'design', mopar, I'll post a pic here next week after the new coil and wires are in. It is a cool deal.

Mike C.

This guy's status says guest and posts not available, was he banned or is there a special dispensation:D