Solar power WAT OT

thedahmer

I am looking into turning solar and get away from the local power company especially when they said the price will go up 14% a year for the next 4 years!! and I am already paying $700 per month now-- anybody have solar and are happy with it??? any input would be greatly appreciated-

Gary---

Current solar power technology is only practical in certain areas of the country that get a certain number of direct sunlight hours per day, etc.

Wind power is much more practical, and can be done in a number of ways. A common one on the plains is the windmill, but there are also squirrel-cage types that go on the peak of the house providing it has the correct pitch, and faces the wind.

Just some food for thought.

thedahmer

I have converted my well and pressure water system to solar. I use 12V and do not have the problems with the inverters. It is small enough that I use only one Optima battery. I love the freadom of not having to rely on the electric company.

I agree with Gary that in the northern part of the world, if the sun is not always shining and the wind is blowing, investigate wind. There is a dealer her in Mexico that has a big store that all runs on a mix of wind and solar, They say that this is the best way to go.

kai

We looked into solar panels for our house here in New Jersey about a year ago. We have southern exposure and no trees so the location is ideal. The local Home Depot has periodic 'seminars' by a solar installer. After we sifted through all the info about tax credits and rebates, we figured the payback period to be about 10 years even though the salesman was claiming 4-5. We ended-up not doing it.

Wind???? not flat enough around here the sun light hours rae 4.38-- Looking at a wood boiler that circulates hot water in the furnaces and radiant heat-about $8k- and the solar ranges from $15-35K- at $700 per month it would not take long to pay that off--- anyway about those cows-- I have never heard of that---- got a website??

You can also look here.

http://www.cogeneration.net/Manure_To_Energy.htm Gotta a septic tank????

The other thing to look at is natural gas. There are lots of areas where wells are being drilled for Natural Gas. This is collected and used to power a generator.

That is Pretty cool

Wow! $700 per month seems very high for a utility bill. Is this

just for the winter months? Our home is just about 1800 sq ft,

(all electric, except for a natural gas heater we use when it gets

fairly cold), and the most we ever pay is somewhere around $270.

That amount is usually when it is very hot or very cold. When the

electric heat pump doesn't have to run most of the time, the

bills are about $180. We are on the Tennessee Valley Authority

grid. But our bill is a total for electric, natural gas, water, sewer, and

garbage pickup. I guess we are lucky that we can buy cheap power.

well you would need to see my house-- Biggest in the County-- my home website is www.davieschoolinn.com

that will help give you a better idea, and yes I am all electric as well-- 14 water heaters, 17 Heat pumps, & 18 toilets and sewer and water run between 100-250 a month- I guess I should have amidwest forum party in the spring..

Here in Illinois tampering with an electric meter is a FELONY and I don't think I would look good in an Orange jumpsuite especially with the last name of DAHMER!!!!! and if anybody from the EAST needs a place to stay going to Tulsa let me know

My brother used to build what are called "earth ships". Those houses made mainly out of used tires. Completely self-sufficient and you really don't have to watch your level of water and electricity usage as much as you'd think. Quite a few of them are plugged into the grid, but they're usually feeding electricity into the grid instead of drawing.

www.motherearthnews.com is a little hippy publication that a lot of the earth ship owners read for tips on solar energy.

I stayed in this one out in NM called "Nautilus". Pretty comfortable living but don't know if I'd like one as a permanent residence. Also, the bathroom is right there on the left hand side with huge plate glass windows and no curtains. A little unnerving even though your nearest neighbor is probably 5 miles away.

site51_20030826220002_nautilus_oview_front.jpg