I need a motor--is this one??

1just4don

I have owned my grandfathers(bought new) 50 Dodge (car)for many years but have been unable to drive it. previous owner wrecked the motor. I found a 52 Pickup motor on e-bay and wondered IF it was the exact same motor as what I need for the original style motor for this car?? I used to drive this 'kind' of car so want the 'Fluid Drive' for sure in this car. Does the pickup use the fluid drive? OR some did ,,some didnt? I know the Dodge motors were a couple inches longer than the Plymouth motors, and I do know the Dodges with fluid drive had a dish to the back end of the crank where the Plymouths didnt(no fluid drive plymouths). So how do I make sure of this is what I want before I buy it?? Dont need another pile of iron in the corner. Its about 4 states away just to go 'look'. BUT the e-bay deal doesnt give me much time!!! Any help appreciated. -d-

The dodge truck engine is a 218 cubic inch engine and the 50 Dodge engine would have been a 230 c.i. The crank for your Dodge with fluid drive would be drilled for 8 bolts and the Truck engine without fluid drive would only have 4 holes. Both Plymouth and Dodge engines are the same length. Except for the large Dodge truck engines. They and Chrysler and DeSoto engines are 2" longer.

You want to make sure it is a 230 engine, as they have the 8 hole crankshaft flange for the fluid drive. The engines are a bolt for bolt swap, and your car's bellhousing and drive train will bolt up tot he back of the truck motor if it is an 8 bolt crank. Ask the seler for the engine number. It should start with a T if it is a truck engine. Engine swaps were so common in these cars and trucks that it is not uncommon to find car engines in trucks and truck engines in cars. Dodge and Plymouth used the same 23 1/2 inch block in the US. Canadian cars and trucks all had 25 inch long engines. The engine number is on a flat cast into the block just above the generator and just below the head. Post this number here and some one will be able to tell if it is a 230 with the correct crank. The extra holes are necessary to secure the extra weight of the fluid drive components.

I will ask seller for the good info. MY car and all parts are in a garage 15 miles away stored in a different location from ME. It will take a bit to get a tape measure on it. (and I will check that number too. It is quite a ways down in a pile of stuff so might take some digging(I put it in the trunk,,,other people stacked stuff all around it!!

I was sure Dodges were the longer ones and plys shorter motors I found the difference one time while trying to swap one for the other. Wish I had all my good old cars back I had one time. Got talked out of them Just like my 69 z-28 Camaro, boy what a ride!!! But the old Mopars is where I started in life,,,tough ole birds they were IF they could take what this wet behind the ears kid would throw at them.(I didnt know any better then) Thanks

-d-

Guest mikeys toy

the D24 engin that someone put into my old '49 plymouth may be availible; the guy whom bought it is going to make a gasser out of it

it's in northern oklahoma, i'll ask him

I have a T-306 engine which is a 218 but the crank has eight holes and I personally removed the fluid drive belll housing from the block. Rod numbers are identical to another 218, so I am sure about the displacement.

Anybody need a crank or spare engine parts?

AND . . . if memory serves is there not a difference in the pilot bushihg counterbore between manual tranny and fluid drive? Somebody help me out here, please.

I installed a 41 Dodge Fluid drive engine in my 48 Plymouth standard shift. The pilot bearing holes are a different size. See if your clutch and pressure plate rebuilder doesn't have a bushing that will fit the fluid drive crank. I honed mine out with a brake cylinder hone, took three set of stones and about 8 hours.

You don't need a pilot bushing in the crank for a fluid drive. The clutch and pilot bushing are on the back side of the fluid drive.

And as Dave stated, the 1/2 & 3/4 ton trucks used a 218 CID engine even with fluid drive. The 1 ton used the 230 CID and was also available with fluid drive. In other words, some 218 truck engines would have the 8 hole crank for fluid drive, but not all. The 230 1 ton engine, ?????

Is the crank useable, or salvagable, from your original engine? If it is you can swap it into a 218 block and turn it into a 230. You may also need the connecting rods.

Good luck with your engine search,

Merle