1157 LED tail light bulbs.....

BobT-47P15

I presume these are 12V. Guess they would not work on 6V. Look like a simple way to brighten the tail/stop lights.

460.jpg

They also make one with a single contact.

They are in an ebay seller's store priced at $12.50 each. Link to the store:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220045006765&fromMakeTrack=true

Watch out for some of these bulbs. While they are designed and built to replace an original 1157, 2057 and 1034 bulb, we have had a number of vehicles come in to the shop with systems that would now blow fuses after the customer installed these bulbs. If you install one in a circuit that was working with the original bulb and it now blows fuses try reinstalling the original to assure that there are no other problems present. These are real intense lights and look great. But since we have had a number of them show up on our door step with bulb related failures, I just wanted to share this with anyone thinking of installing them.

Guest Dave Claussen

I purchased LED lights from Lambert Enterprises and one thing they caution up front is that the LED bulb does not draw as much current and the addition of an in-line unit that increases the current draw would be necessary to make your blinker function properly. It's just a simple plug in "module" (for lack of a better term) that helps the blinker click on and off. Without it you just have a steady light when you activate the turn signal. If only the front (or back) lights are LED then the current draw would probably be enough to make the blinker work. Just .02 worth of info. Dave

Ojkay, Gents. Here's where you can find six volt LED bulbs. What I cannot understand is that they speak of bulb polarity. Is this something peculiar tg LED' technology, or what? Go figure . . . . . . :cool:

http://www.highspeedmotors.com/6VoltLEDInvoice.html

Now I'm ready to sit at the feet of the mastera again and learn about LED polarity. What's the local wisdom on this one?

Yes, polarity is very important in anything that uses a diode. Diodes, by design, only permit current flow in one direction so if you had one installed that was reversed there would be no flow resulting in no light being emited. (Not all diodes emit light though.) LED stands for Light Emitting Diode so you can see the importance of polarity.

Well said Bob. I also read somewhere that the difference between 12 volt and 6 volt LEDs is in the resistors used. They use a resistor in series with the LED to change the voltage and current flow through the LED. If you were to use a 12v bulb in a 6v application the current flow would be too high and the LED life would be shortened.

Merle

Guest Dave Claussen

My understanding about LED's is that they have a very long life expectancy because there is actually no element to burn out. Some claims are of 100,000 hours or more.

I purchased an LED drop light that is very handy for working around and under the car/truck. The up side of it is that if you "drop" the drop light, the bulb doesn't go POP and then leaves you in the dark. I have unintentionally performed this test a couple of times and it's still working great. The down side is it could be a little brighter, but it's not bad. There's also a rechargeable one out on the market now for those times when you're not near a plug in. Could be a possible Christmas gift for the wrench in the family.