A mystery 1942 Dodge woody sedan

BobT-47P15

Think I first saw this one listed for sale on ebay some time ago......must not have sold. Now some guy is trying to help the owner sell. A possible one-off vehicle. Reg, you probably need this one in your collection.

Sun visor looks to be welded on. Looks like some louvers in the cowl. Would be fun to see in person. Is it coachbuilt or home-made?? Seems as if I have seen that top with the split rear window somewhere, but can find no pictures of anything similar.

woodie_sideview_2.jpg

Click on the link for more pictures....http://www.42dodgewoodie.fws1.com/photo.html

**First page of the site about the car.....http://www.42dodgewoodie.fws1.com/index.html

The trunk lid is rather unusual.....is it wood or metal???? Two handles.

woodie_back_close.jpg

Yeah Bob......I'd better get it.

But first I'll have to add on to the garage and then get back into the dating scene again.

Maybe this line will work.

Hey Babe...wanna come home with me and have a look at my old woodie.

1320_174110119457022200509f.jpg

1957 Deathmobile Open car | December 1, 2006

This is what happens when Grandpa retires and has WAY TOO MUCH time on his hands. He builds the Deathmobile. The vehicle is named "The Deathmobile" because it is made of 1/4" plywood over a 1957 VW chassis. If you ever were to (God Forbid)have an accident-you are a goner.It has a top speed of 45 mph. Because of the way the windshield is mounted-straight up-at night the headlights of the vehicle behind you shine right back in your eyes,making it almost impossible to see through the windshield. I am the 4th owner of this car. A retired man built it, his grandson inherited it,another man bought and restored it, and then I bought it from him for the the drivetrain. This vehicle is so much fun (and terrifying) to drive, that my family insists that I keep the Deathmobile together. We get more comments on this car than my Kustom '63 TBird

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/your_garage/cars/1320.shtml

The wood on the trunk area is over the original metal--doors too. The gasket around the gas filler is partially covered by the piece which holds the "Chrysler" tail lights. The fender "appears" to sit way too far inward because of the over-laid wood.

The factory would never have made a one-off that looked like this. All woodies were farmed out to a company which had highly skilled carpenters do the work.

Even so, whoever did this had allot better carpenter skills than I have.

Boy, those rear windows sure look they came from a coffin-nosed Cord:'36-'38...

This cannot be a factory car... too many "odd" things about it...

1) Look at the metal(?) filler between the trunk/deck section and the roof: looks like some lumpy seamage there...

2) Body silhouette: this is a modified four-door sedan: a proper two-door sedan ( or "coach", if you prefer) of the period would have had the "B"-pillar located further back...

3) A Johnny Cash collection ( "One Piece At A Time") of trimmings from various vintages of various MoPar: Host Chassis/Front clip: '42 Dodge; rear fenders: '39-'40 Chrysler or De Soto; rear lights ( fender and center trunk): '46-'48 Chrysler; rear bumper might also be '46'-48 Chrysler ?...

I will echo the foregoing compliments on some ambitious person's craftsmanship, but this moust have been somebody's home-grown Town & Country...

It would be interesting to see if this vehicle's history does eventually turn-up...

Frank.....that's what I'm now thinking.....looks like a 4 door originally due to proportions. Someone seems to have been creative. IF i had the money, I would buy the thing just for the curiosity value. Then simply try to rejuvenate as it seemed to be, right or wrong.

I think that someone bought a wrecked dodge when it was pretty and had a good motor and over the winter cleaned out the garage on spare parts and made them a one off custom of the day- hey it Could have bee Boyd Cotterpin's dad

A couple years ago Joel Torres who used to frequent this board posted some pics of a late 30' to early40's cutom bodied Desoto he noticed in his neighbor hood. If memory serves corectly the roofline of that car was very similar to the Mystery T&C Dodge. I can not remember the body maker, but I did a search and found several photos of that car or one like it. The wood working looks like some one had access to manufacturing jigs and joinery tools. looks to "factory" to be a shade tree conversion. Maybe a wooden boat builder or repairer did the work.

1947 convert.....from the rear. Only one trunk handle.....like other models. Tail lights about same as mystery car.

710_DSCN0642.JPG

A 1941 Chrysler T & C.

1941_Chrysler_Town_and_Country_Woody_StationWagon-sept1.jpg

A 1947 Chrysler T & C sedan.

1947-chrys_TandC_sdn.jpg

Still can't find anything with that roofline and split rear window.