Rim color ideas

Reg Evans

It's time to paint my chipped up rims and install some new radials on J Lo. I've never liked the rims being body color. I asked this same question a year ago. Guess my old brain needs to be defragged cause I can't remember the outcome of the votes. So...what's your idea of the ideal rim color?

Afterthebeautyparlor.jpg

I have to agree with Bob, stripe maybe..I for one really do like matching wheel color...or at minimum a slighly contrast color but never anything harsh...the addition of pin striping would truly accent those rims and make the whole thing just POP...nothing to lose..don't like it then change color...it would be just too easy to use 3M pin stripping to check it out...

Reg,

For what it's worth, the original wheels on my '41 De Soto ( black) were two-toned: the center section ( where the hubcap mounts) were something like Balfour Green, and the outer rim section was black. There were a double-band of pinstripe around the hubcap, and again on the outer lip of the rim

(where the lead balance-weights live). I think the stripes were either Silver or Creme.

From what I can tell from the overspray on one original rim, center section was painted first, then a mask set-over the center and the rim section was painted the contrasting color.

All '41 De Sotos that had two-tone wheels had the rim sections painted black. Some cars had the wheels painted all one color, usually the body-color.

A previous owner of my car had shot the wheels red, which looks okay on a black car...

Why not go to www.autocolorlibrary.com, and see what the factory color-combos were for Dodge in '42, and see if that gives you any ideas for how to color your wheels... ?

Personally, I think red rims would look swell...

Reg,

Ever considered keeping the wheels body color and going to blackwalls for contrast?

Charles

They probably left the factory with black walls but I've already purchased new wide whites. The black walls do look great on your B series Woodie or Woody though.

Here's a sales brochure with a 3 tone color scheme if ya count the rim color. Am I correct in thinking that maybe you could order any color combination as long as it was on the color chart for the year. :eek:

Thanks for all the suggestions!

42coupeinbrochure.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the rim color suggestions guys. I went with my own gut feeling and went for the "Early Mud Runnin" look.

What do ya think?

Just kidding;) .....

the rims have been powder coated and my new WW's finally arrived so J Lo's borrowing some wheels from an old truck until I get the tire store to mount the new tires.

Film at 11....tomorrow.JLosborrowedshoes.jpg

Guest chip.deson

I like using the body color for rims on cars of this era. Also, a nice pin concentric pin stripe would be nice. I think the originals were kind of a bronze color.

Chip