Adjusting Valves With a Cold Engine

Guest 52dodgecoronet

Guest 52dodgecoronet

My manual (and your tech article) both recommend setting intake valves at .008 and exhaust valves at .010 (or .012 for highway driving) when the engine is either running or at operating temperature. Another thread recommends setting both intake and exhaust at .014 when cold, although it would seem to me this would leave the intakes loose and the exhausts a little tight once the expansion occurrs. Since my engine has been rebuilt with new springs and valves, I need advice on how to adjust my valves while the engine is cold. Once I get it going, I'll give it the hot adjustment, as per the manual.

Guest 52dodgecoronet

Thanks for clearing up that statement about setting the lash at .014, Don. The problem is that my shop manual does not give a measurement for setting them up cold. I have read that when setting up a Chevy stovebolt, that a good rule of thumb is to add .005 to the recommended hot setting, but these L-heads are a completely different set up. Any idea where I can find the factory setting?

Here a some pics of the factory setting as explained in the manual. I just did the valve adjustment on my engine this past weekend. There is a thread about it over in the p15 forum, search for tappets or valve adjustment to see those threads.

Cold setting is .010 for intakes and .013 for exhaust. Then you need to get the engine warmed up to operating temp and readjust to the .008 intakes, .010 exhaust settings.

DSC01637.jpg

Guest 52dodgecoronet

Thank you so much. That was exactly the information I was looking for. I have a 1949-1952 Dodge shop manual and that information was not included. To further complicate matters, the original 230 was replaced with a 251 from a Desoto. Thanks again and happy motoring.