Glove Box Lock

Guest usedmind

Guest usedmind

Ok so I found someone selling glove box lock and keys. But I do not know if they are correct for my 1946 P15. Just wandering if someone could help me out. It doenst look exactly like what I have pictures of, but since I wont be home for another week I am unable to make a direct comparison.

Here is the discription in the ad.

" Glove Box Lock 1941-46 Chrysler DeSoto Plymouth Dodge

This auction is for one Glove Box Lock Made by Yale.

This fits Chrysler, DeSoto, Plymouth, Dodge 1941-46.

Kaiser-Frasier 46-47"

56_1_b.JPG

I wasn't aware at the time anyone here was looking at them. Not trying to hoard them or anything, but as you may be aware, I am restoring P15 dashes. As I complete the dashes, they will each get a nice new lock with keys as well as a new box behnid the lid. If you still want one, that seller probably has more. I purchased 8 from her last month. Try contacting her directly. middleburgtweety@aol.com

Guest usedmind

Thanks for the email address. I just saw those with keys for so cheap I thought having more than an empty lock would be a nice little upgrade or atleast the cheapest one Ive done to date.

Now does anyone know how to use a key making maching or accsess to the right blanks. I'll put pictures of what I have up as soon as I find them on my computer.

Thanks again

Andy

The trick, at least around here, is finding a locksmith who can actually make a key from the lock. The one local fella basically messed up my trunk lock to produce a key that just barely works. Check with Mike Maker....he has developed some talent in the lock field.

Guest usedmind

Does anyone know a locksmith in the Cincinnati area that does this kinda work for a reasonable price? My car didnt come with any keys when I bought it and I found door locks but my ignition is after market with no keys and I'd still like keys for the trunk. The only person I found was going to charge me 100 bucks straight off and not promise anything.

My Grandpa has Keil key blanks and the Keil key cutting machine. I just dont know if Keil made matching keys for the Plymouth.

P1000139.jpg

P1000140.jpg

P1000141.jpg

Enjoy the pictures

Andy

I appreciate the clarification.

Yes Norm, thanks for the clarification, NOT! The only thing that is clearly visable is that we have some here that are hoarding parts and/or reselling them. Nothing wrong with an honest buck but I didnt see any of you offer at least one lock and key to the man who was in need of "just one set." Sure an email addy was offered, big deal, you have several in hand and know the guy's looking for one yet not even a simple would you want to buy one from me. That stinks!

If they were so easy to get you would think that either of you would have at least offered but no, it's a typical example of me, myself and I. And then we even get to see the bragging about it.

I dont know who appointed Norm for either of you as your spokesman but you would think you could speak up for yourselves. What happened to help the forum members? What happened to treat others as you expect to be treated? Are we supposed to stop helping folks on the forum just because we finished our projects? Are we supposed to help those who do not help others? Are we supposed to help someone ID parts so they can turn around a buy or sell them only for profit? Think long and hard about it because apparently it hasnt set in or the $ sign has blinded you far more than you realize and it shows.

Regardless of your reasons, money profiting ideas, or even just plain greed, your actions have spoken for themselves and it just plain stinks. You can get mad, try to explain, whatever, more than likely dont even care. Save your breath because I really dont care. I've seen all I need to see and hope others can understand whats really been going on.

I must say I am quite shocked to read something like that on this group. We usually get along. I know what Davids intentions are and I agree with him. I'm hoping he gets going quick so I can buy a dash from him. I know he's not hording parts. Way back he knew I was looking for a factory turn signal unit. He found one mislisted on ebay and instead of buying it and turning it around for a profit he sent me the link. Glovebox locks cant be that hard to find either. I have a couple extra without keys. Was going to give one to Mike Maker-has he found his way to the new group?

I am placing this last public comment on the issue because I would like to appeal to your common sense and decency as well as to avoid putting the rest of the members through another one of those forum flame wars.

I certainly hope that you don't believe Ed is correct in his accusations. If Ed had a gripe with me, he should have contacted me directly and asked for clarification. He is completely INCORRECT in his assertion. I DID NOT brag about my purchase, I did not post any ebay ads on this site and I did not hide from the issue. A member asked about the locks and I directed him to the source where I am certain he can obtain one for the same price as I did. If I did not feel that was possible, YES, I would have offered to sell him one of mine. I would also like to point out that I purchased them BEFORE his comment was posted to the forum (or at least before I visited the forum and saw his post).

Regarding selling him one: It simply makes NO SENSE for me to sell him one of mine (for which I have already paid postage) and then contact the seller and request of her to sell me another one with additional postage; especially when her contact info was readily available and provided by me. If he still wants one, it's likely an email away.

As I mentioned, I am restoring P15 dashes which have been salvaged from rod projects and I felt it would be entirely appropriate to include a working lock with keys on the restored dashes. If this does not make sense to Ed or anyone else, I am beside myself. What could Ed possibly find wrong with my efforts to save P15 dashes from the scrap yard? Forgive my ignorance, but I really DON'T GET IT! By the way, I believe the last time she placed some of these up for sale, they were not all purchased (in spite of the price).

I truly hope that this issue can die here and now and that we can return to civilized dialog about these wonderful cars. For God's sake, what started as a simple effort to help a forum member has turned into this! Please, let's all stop and think before we hurl insults at each other!!!

David

With all due respect David..I never saw your name listed in Ed's note...further the letting it die has resulted in two more more posts by yourself and might I ad one with a boldly written threat..to let it die would not have resulted in further post by you..I think Ed's address was "all inclusive" although this one example may have prompted his statement that this forum has always been about helping others here....and if you wish to threaten me for expressing my opinion or supporting another opinion...then so be it..threaten me too if it does make you feel better and this is my last post on this...

If you'd like to rant on about this, email me directly and I'll make it quite clear to you what the FACTS are. Please don't annoy others and DO NOT slander my name here. I WILL NOT TOLERATE IT!

The FACT is, I'm not one of your students, POC buddies or someone shilling for you just because I want one of your dash's.

The FACT is, you can contact me just as easy but I know thats too hard for those who have the better than thee syndrome.

The FACT is, my post is not ranting just because you disagree.

The FACT is, just because everything isnt always peachy here doesnt mean it's not informative yet I can see why some would differ. Dont want to make waves do we?

The FACT is, this forum is open to talk about everything to do with our cars and trucks. If that means every now and then a small percentage has to step on toes to get the point across then so be it. If bringing up a conversation on the way we should conduct ourselves on the forum is taboo then we are all guilty.

The FACT is, if there is nothing to be ashamed of then you should be able to openly discuss this on the forum. Please dont give me that honorable "let's keep the flaming off the board" hooplah.

The most important FACT is, what I read of your last post and what I got from it was, woulda, coulda, shoulda.

My post wasnt directed directly towards you. It was actually directed towards you and dahmer so if you CAN NOT TOLERATE IT then thats your problem.

Guest usedmind

Sry guys, never ment to cause a fight.

I just wasnt sure if it was right for my car, it looked wierd in the picture.

I emailed the person a few days ago and am just waiting for a response.

Someone bought something that was for sale, cant be mad at them for that.

Sorry again I really never ment to start anything like this. I was just curious on something I saw and not positive about. Teach me to ask stuff like that. I'll stick to asking questions about the parts I already have.

Sry guys, never ment to cause a fight.

I just wasnt sure if it was right for my car, it looked wierd in the picture.

I emailed the person a few days ago and am just waiting for a response.

Someone bought something that was for sale, cant be mad at them for that.

Sorry again I really never ment to start anything like this. I was just curious on something I saw and not positive about. Teach me to ask stuff like that. I'll stick to asking questions about the parts I already have.

Don't let him discourage you from asking questions. Its totally not your fault it got out of hand. Ebay is open to all who choose to use it. I'm sure its not the first or last time someone lost an item to someone else.

Dont think twice about asking a question here. Thats what it's all about. Sometimes things do get a little out of hand but dont let that stop you from asking for help. I am sorry to have brought it up through your thread and not start my own but you should have been offered a chance at one of the items purchased by both members here and wasnt. Thats what doesnt sit well with me.

Normally the forum is very friendly and speedy to help one another but there are givers and there are takers here. Hopefully in the future you will find better help from the givers.

You'll find that David has one of the best restored cars on the forum. Did a great job. You'll also find out that as a whole this is the best group to give you the help you need. Just that every now and then we dont agree on some long standing issues and some have thicker skin than others on these issues. So please, dont let this discourage you in any way. My apologies to you for not moving to a new thread. Ed Griffin