12 volt conversion and the fluid drive

Jims50chrysler

Ok

This is kinda backwards but......I just finished my rewire for 6 volt then decided I should have rewired for 12 volt, I know, not a bid deal the 6 volt wiring will suit the 12 volt system so now my question is,

What will be required for my Fluid drive transmission, would a volt drop work here? do I need to replace all the electric components? Where is the best place to get the components if I need them?

All your thoughts and suggestions for the conversion would be helpfull.

Thanks

Jim

I've questioned the same thing about 12 volts on my 41 Chrysler's Fluid Drive. Maybe some one can give us an answer.

We did a 53 Chrysler a few years ago with the electrically activated trans. We actually inserted a voltage drop in the system where the voltage was fed to the servo, switches and governor harness, as I recall. (If I had the wiring diagram in front of me I could suggest the point of insertion a bit better.) The 53 has been out for about 3 or 4 years and still works fine.

• 9 years later...

Did anyone actually draw out a schematic diagram of how to wire up these fluid drive tranny? Im still driving the fluid drive in my 51 coronet... please excuse me for reviving an old thread... any pictures/schematic/parts list would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time gentleman

If you have an actual Fluid Drive (like "paulbone" above), I don't think you have to do anything. However, if you have the semi-automatic transmission that was called "Gyro-Matic", there is some work to be done. Unfortunately, I don't know what it is. Your car should have one of those two names on it that should tell you what you have.

3 minutes ago, Tubman said:

If you have an actual Fluid Drive (like "paulbone" above), I don't think you have to do anything. However, if you have the semi-automatic transmission that was called "Gyro-Matic", there is some work to be done. Unfortunately, I don't know what it is. Your car should have one of those two names on it that should tell you what you have.

Yes sir its the "gyro matic" 

I would think someone here knows. Have you tried searching for "Gyro-matic" or "Gyro Matic"? The title of your thread is a little misleading when it references "Fluid Drive". If you don't get any response here, you might try the H.A.M.B. There was a discussion about these transmissions going on over there a couple of days ago.

1949-1950 Chrysler's  name for the transmission is called "Presto-Matic"

Dodge called this same transmission Gyro-Matic.

Tip-Toe is the name for 1946-48 DeSoto

There are several more manes for these vacuum and hydraulically operated transmissions for the 1941-53 Mopar transmissions.