Wheel size/color

47Plymouth

When i bought my 47 P15 it came with 4/15" wheels and 4/16" wheels which is correct? How much difference would it make to put 16" tires on the rear? Would this be noticable, it seems that driving at 60mph with the 15" tires its a roaring. Also i can have the 16" wheels powder coated where i work for no charge, only color options are cream or white what do you think. Jerome

The '47 came with 16" wheels. The '48 had 15" wheels. As for color, you can by a miriad of powder colors from Eastwood or other sources. The color you choose is totally up to you. However, if I was restricted between the two colors you mention, I'd take cream. Using larger wheels on the rear is an old hot rod trick to get a lower profile on the front. New cars are coming out with large diameter wheels on the rear and don't come with a spare. I'm using 225/70x15s on the rear and 205/60x15s on the front of my '48 P-15 coupe.

Click on the line to see pic of Darin's car, a light colored car with light colored wheels and wide whitewalls. Maybe this will give you an idea of the appearance.

xximage.php?u=155&dateline=1161757335&type=profile

Are your tires black or white sidewalls? I use 15 inch wheels and tires on my 47 Plym. Still have the original 16s that came on it. But it is easier to find full wheel covers to fit 15. Seems easier to me to find 15" tires , but 16s are offered by people like Coker. The only thing that might affect the way the car sits is use Biiig 16s on the rear, and smaaall 15s or even 14s on the front. I ran 205 x 15 radials for a while.....the car sat just a little lower than with 6-70 x 15s.

100_3620.jpg

Thanks guys my 47 currently has 205/75 r15s on it. What i'm thinking of doing is to put 6.50x16's on the rear to get a little more speed out of the stock rear end. Will this make a difference? My current tires are narrow white walls, but am considering wide whites. Any thoughts on this. Jerome

As pointed out in the Enhancements section of the P15-D24 web site, the overall diameter is determined both by the diameter of the wheel and the profile of the tire:

"Lastly, as the chart points out, both Plymouth and Dodge make changes to the specified tire size during the production run. Both went from 16 inch to 15inch tires. However, the factory parts book indicates the same speedometer pinion gear was used before and after the change. This means while the tire profile changed, overall diameter was nearly the same between the 15 inch and 16 inch tires."

Jim Yergin

Norm, I think the reason they invented those white discs was to "sort of" give the appearance of a whitewall with a black sidewall tire. So, when you get wide whitewall and white disc, it's too much of a good thing. Probably not quite so bad with narrow whites. Is your coupe Maroon??

Actually at the same situation.

Have all the tires off, derusted the rims, now I am ready to fill/sand the rims and then spray paint them befroe putting the new tires on.

Easier said than done, too much work , no time to play.

X-mas doesn't seem to provide too much time off either.

The idea I have is to match the interior color with the rims and this will be a sandy yellow. Car is Cruiser Maroon.

Need to get the right color somewhere though ;)

John