1946-47 P-15 Hood Springs

bmt47p-15

Does anyone know of a place you can get P-15 hood springs? I have found a few sets on eBay but like this nice used pair,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1946-1947-1948-PLYMOUTH-HOOD-SPRINGS_W0QQitemZ130053182652QQihZ003QQcategoryZ10076QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

they are out of my price range. I had a 40 Chevy car and the hood springs look exactly like the P-15 springs. You can get these new for about 35 bucks. Maybe one of you guys has one laying around and you could tell me the over all lenght of the spring to see if the 40 Chevy will work? Here is a pic of the 40 Chevy car hood spring.Hs09.jpg

Guest Bryan Harris

I have one (I found under the seats) and it measures 10-3/4" from inside the bends. I'm tilting my whole front clip this season and won't need it. Small block 340 sits down between the fenders too far to be reaching in to do things on the motor. I wanna save my back for doin things like the floor, trunk, firewall, ect... haha. Hope this helps.

Later on, BH

Guest Paul G (Dr Vinyl)

I quit bidding at $19.33 on those springs and was at my limit.

They were yellow, maybe that was the gold showing through that made them worth over $100.00 to the winning buyer.:)

I quit bidding at $19.33 on those springs and was at my limit.

They were yellow, maybe that was the gold showing through that made them worth over $100.00 to the winning buyer.:)

That is to funny! I here you, I bowed out at 20 something. I may have out bid sorry about that, but over 100 bucks. :eek: If the 40 chevy car works there is a couple of places on the web you can get them. I believe there are some chrome and stainlees ones out there!

• 4 weeks later...

Well I finally found someone that had a 40 chevy car spring.:D The measurement that he gave me was 12 inches. Accourding to Bryans measurement of 10 3/4 there is a difference of 1 1/4 inches. My question is with the spring in the lowest position on the P15 where would that show up?

My guess would be the hood would not open up as far,:( but I don't know.:confused: What do you guys think?

On this here website, there is a listing for reproduction P15 hood springs under the 'Links' section. It is listed under the title 'Brakes, Steering, Suspension, and Driveline. Not sure if the phone # is current. It is listed as L.S. Reproduction P15 Hood Hinge Springs- Irwin, Pennsylvania. 724-863-4291