"Fast Second Gear" Question

Jim Yergin

The other day Tim was nice enough to explain that the 1941 and earlier transmissions had a different second gear than the post '41 transmissions. He also pointed out that the earlier "fast second gear" would be good in a 1950's O/D transmission. I am just curious why Chrysler changed the second gear ratio after 1941. What was the supposed advantage in the change?

Jim Yergin

Tim,

In checking my master parts books, it looks like the 1941 transmission used the same second gear and gear cluster as the 1942 through 1948 transmissions. Could your source of information be incorrect as to the '41 transmissions having the fast second gear?

Thanks.

Jim Yergin

Thanks Tim. As always your help is greatly appreciated. I guess I won't bother transferring the second gear and cluster from my '41 transmission.

Jim Yergin

Jim;

I have heard that George Asche has a stash of NOS tall 40 gears. As long as you are doing this you might want to contact him and see if you can get the parts.

PS, Has your e-mail address changed?

I checked with George Asche about the fast second gear parts. He charges $250 for a used second gear and gear cluster. I found that Len Dawson lists the same two parts NOS for $60. I have placed an order with Len Dawson.

George did have a theory on why Chrysler changed in '41 to the "slow second" gear ratio. The slow second gear is not that much different from the first gear ratio. George believes that back when the change was made, drivers were more interested in minimizing gear shifts than acceleration. The "slow second" allowed the driver to start up in second gear and then only have to shift once to get into third. Makes sense to me.

Jim Yergin

I have to shoot that theory in the butt..first gear and third gear is the same in both trannies..the second gear could be by passed if given his explaination in either case...the fast second allow you to be a bit longer legged and thus not need to shift the car at lower speed due to higher engine RPM...

That means my 1940 Plymouth has that fast second gear in it. No wonder it feels so strong in second, I'm going racing tomorrow.:D I wonder if my transmission is up for a 100 mile trip? Since I can go faster It will take just 2 hour instead of three.

Rodney;

In order to race you have to alter your wimpy driving style..... I will offer up some training on my next visit.:cool:

I have to shoot that theory in the butt..first gear and third gear is the same in both trannies..the second gear could be by passed ...

My mother was not a person who liked to shift gears. While I was growing up she drove a 1948 Buick Super 3 on the tree. She never used second gear. She would wind that straight eight out to maximum RPM's in first and then slam it into third. After a few years of doing this the linkage locked up and would not go into second. Believe it was a lubrication issue. When it was time to sell that car dad let the potential buyers take it for a test drive. When they returned the car shifted into all gears like new. However they did not buy the car.

I checked with George Asche about the fast second gear parts. He charges $250 for a used second gear and gear cluster. I found that Len Dawson lists the same two parts NOS for $60. I have placed an order with Len Dawson....

Funny thing is that George sold me a "NEW" fast 2nd gear for a couple of hundred dollars...Hummm

When we take out the trans and open it up to see what George missed that is causing the OD to not work correctly, I will have to inspect the 2nd gear to see if it is in fact a new or used one.

James

James,

It is possible I may have misunderstood George but I was under the impression we were talking about used parts. If I am assuming something then we all know what that makes me. However, even if new, Len Dawson's price beats George's by a mile.

Jim Yergin

I installed a George Asche OD in my 40 Ply P-9. I'm told that I have a "fast 2nd, but I cannot recognize an advantage going from stop ( or very slow ) with OD engaged from 2nd ,as it acts just like it's in 3rd. I also thought that below about 25 MPH, the governor fly weights would keep the OD from engaging, even with the manual lever engaged.

Don

It is my understanding that any speed below the cut-in speed of the governor removes the solinoid from the circuit. The car should freewheel at those speeds anytime the throttle is released. I didnot wire the governor into the circuit on my 55 Chervolet pick up and overdrive is engaged anytime the power switch is in the on position reguardless of speed. It freewheels at any speed because I leave the cable in the overdrive engaged position even when the power is off.

In a nutshell...

1st gear 2.57 x 3.9 = 10.023 to 1 in OD..2.57 x .70 x 3.9 =7.061 to 1

2nd gear 1.83 x 3.9= 7.31 to 1 in OD 1.83 x .70 x 3.9=4.99 to 1

fast 2 1.55 x 3.9= 6.045 to 1 in OD 1.55 x .70 x 3.9= 4.23 to 1

3rd gear 1.0 x 3.9= 3.9 to 1 and in OD 1.0 x .70 x 3.9= 2.73 to 1

a good pattern would be 1st gear straight, 2nd gear, 2nd OD, 3rd and then 3rd OD regardless of fast or standard your rationin 1st and third remain constant in straight or OD positions..

how you wish to change gears would be totally dependent on your desire to attain cruise or based on your vehicle occupancy weight...either way..they can be lots of fun...

• 7 years later...

I checked with George Asche about the fast second gear parts. He charges $250 for a used second gear and gear cluster. I found that Len Dawson lists the same two parts NOS for $60. I have placed an order with Len Dawson.

George did have a theory on why Chrysler changed in '41 to the "slow second" gear ratio. The slow second gear is not that much different from the first gear ratio. George believes that back when the change was made, drivers were more interested in minimizing gear shifts than acceleration. The "slow second" allowed the driver to start up in second gear and then only have to shift once to get into third. Makes sense to me.

Jim Yergin

do you recall the part#s for Len Dawson?