"Fast Second Gear" Question

Jim Yergin

I installed a George Asche OD in my 40 Ply P-9. I'm told that I have a "fast 2nd, but I cannot recognize an advantage going from stop ( or very slow ) with OD engaged from 2nd ,as it acts just like it's in 3rd. I also thought that below about 25 MPH, the governor fly weights would keep the OD from engaging, even with the manual lever engaged.

Don

Hi Don,  the fast 2nd refers to a different cluster gear and a different 2nd speed gear, which is a 1 year only pair of parts from 1940, hut can be used in many different years.  Forget the overdrive for a second, and go from 1st, to 2nd, to 3rd and you will notice you get much more speed in 2nd gear than you did with a standard 2nd gear.    Overdrive, you can engage in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear, which provides you depending on what overdrive you have, approximately 30% overdrive.    In terms of engaging it depends what model overdrive we are referring to. 

• Like 1

)

do you recall the part#s for Len Dawson?

I can certainly provide you what the part numbers are for genuine mopar and  the various aftermarket ones.   I know the comment about Len Dawson goes back to 2008 which is now 7 years ago.  but is he has genuine mopar clusters (part number 853885) and  2nd speed gears  (part number 692687) for anything close to $60 for a set, Ill buy every single set he has.

Rather Genuine Mopar or the other 3 or 4 different makers, the Gear has 14 - 19 - 25 - 32 teeth where the none 1940 cluster:  gear set is 14-19-23-32 teeth

• Like 1