A BIG thanks to Don Coatney

I think my ARCH RACE RIVAL Don Coatney deserves a big recognition and thanks for his participation on this forum.

He is a constant contributor to this site, with his unending wit, vast reserve of mechanical knowledge, and endless supply of photobucket images to back up his words.

In the early days of this forum, he was a great motivator for my '50 project, knowing that the inevitable BIG RACE was on the horizon and that I'd better get my sh!t together to keep up the pace.

Last year, the big day finally came to be, the show down in Tulsa, '07.

THEBIGRACEsmall.jpg

This was the first time Don and I met face to face, after about six years of bantering back and forth on the P15-D24 forum. I thoroughly enjoyed the short time we spent together in Tulsa. It was great to meet Don, see his car, and of course kick his butt in the BIG RACE :D.

tulsatrip58.jpg

Thanks Don, for all you do and for being who you are. This place wouldn't be the same without you.

And that's no bull. :D

normsbill.jpg

Until we meet again...

Your ARCH RACE RIVAL,

Pete

• Like 1

Coatney rocks !!!!

So when can we expect "THE BIG RACE - NUMERO DOS" ??

When Don get's his car ready, maybe he'll drive it out to the Salt...

Not sure if he has enough time though...

coatneystools.jpg

Speed Week '08 starts August 18. hint hint :D

Pete

• Like 1

Pete;

Thanks for your kind words. Your contributions to this forum equal or exceed what I have done. However you have the story wrong. I WON the BIG RACE! We have had a lot of fun over the years. I recall calling you on the phone the day I first started my RACE WINNING ENGINE so you could hear it run. Of course this was eaons before you got your second place jalopy running. The bantering we did was great motivation for both of us. Thanks for the memories:D

• Like 1

Have to agree, Pete...Don's one of the rocks of this forum. When I first discoverd this great place he was doing his disc conversion and rear end swap and the detailed posts and great pics have helped alot

Glad you two got to at least have both cars in one place...that in itself is an amazing feat

Thanks Don!!

and you too, Pete!

I first read Don's post on the HAMB.....then I found him here....then I read his family website.... then he complimented my RACE CAR...how can you not respect a guy who makes friends where ever he goes.

48D

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Dang, it's like alter egos there...salt and pepper....father/son almost!:eek:

So, what were the times fo this here drag...I need a target to shoot for! :D

Wow, this thread was dredged up from the bottom...

All anyone remembers is that the Blueskies Team kicked-a$$. :D

Pete

Sad that I no longer own my Plymouth for a rematch... maybe I'll get it back one day-

Pete

Pete;

A wise old friend once told me you cannot turn back the hands of time. But you and I had a lot of fun and I will always fondly remember it. We both won the BIG RACE!

• Like 1

Pete;

A wise old friend once told me you cannot turn back the hands of time. But you and I had a lot of fun and I will always fondly remember it. We both won the BIG RACE!

Yes, you are right. What's done is done. Here's what the boys and I have been up to since...

My wagon-

and

The willys rally I helped organize-

I can still hear my old Plymouth flatty, hoping to do something similar with the 6-226 flathead 6 in my '60 Willys wagon at some point.

Pete