My 1950 Desoto

Guest 1950desoto

Guest 1950desoto

Hello all my name is John and i have got me a 1950 Desoto.I payed 1000 for it the guy told me it as a rebluid motor in it but it will not stay run. I have a ques.

1: How do you tell if it is 3 or 4 speed fiuld drive i was raeding the other post about it.My desoto is not running so i can not try the test that they are talking about.

2: I have post same pics of the streeing column and shifter. I like to new how the shifter works?

3: i thank the clutch padel is not hook up and my shop manel does not show how it is hook up?

4: any info you give me will be nice

1951Desoto002.jpg

1951Desoto004.jpg

1951Desoto007.jpg

If it is a 3 spd fluid drive trans, it will not have a governor or solenoid switch on the trans, this you can see from under the car, or if there is an access plate in the floor plate.

More than likely it is the 4 spd semi-auto trans, if it is, the column shifter will look the same as a 3 spd trans. The difference is this, the 3 spd trans will shift as any normal 3 spd trans.

The 4 spd trans shifts as this, pull the shifter back and up is reverse, push the shifter out and up is low range, push out and down is high range.

If the trans is in high range, you can let your foot off the clutch, and the car won't stall , you dirve it, then let your foot off the gas at about 20 to 25 mph, the trans will then shift itself to a higher gear, it will also kick down if you floor the engine, or shift down when you slow right down.

You should post all of these questions in the P15 D24 forum, you will get far more responses, also fill out a profile, so we know who you are and what you are driving. If you have brakes, you need to get the engine running to see what is up with things...........Fred