Dodge Truck Build Cards

I made several revisions to this article and submitted them all to the editor of the PWA. Unfortunately two of these did not make it in the article. I will post them here so everyone will get the complete info.

The first one applies to Dodge truck build cards from 1947 and on. The second one will answer Brad's question. Some people have found cards in trucks but they weren't supposed to be included.

Page 14, right hand column should be revised as follows....

"Later build cards had a third row of columns down the middle for additional options. These columns can have codes at the top but are not punched. These third row columns are sub-columns of the "special codes" columns in the second row. For example if "special codes" column 69 is punched with a 0, 5, and 7 then your card will have codes printed at the top of columns 690, 695, and 697 in the third row. "Special code" column punches will only be 0, 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9 as these are the numbers that require only 1 punch each. The amount of columns and the options they represent vary depending on model year."

and

"Anyone interested in obtaining a build card for their 1930

thru 1954 Dodge truck must fill out a Build Record Request Form. These may be obtained by calling the Chrysler Archives at (313)252-2902 or writing to:

Chrysler LLC

Corporate Historical Collection

12501 Chrysler Freeway

CIMS 410-11-21

Detroit, MI 48231

Attn: Historical Information

Please visit their website for further information:

www.chryslerheritage.com/pg904.htm

Anyone interested in a no cost breakdown of any Dodge Truck build card can

contact me. I will do what I can to break down your specific build codes. Please send a high resolution scan or a good photocopy.

Kevin Clause

23 Seventeenth Street

Port Huron, MI 48060

E-mail: kknglenn@yahoo.com

Be sure to include "Dodge Truck" in the title of your e-mail so I don't delete

it as spam."

• Like 1

So, am I to understand that no cards are available after 1954 for trucks?

I have a 58 Sweptside and 64 Town Wagon that I would love to get a build card for. The Sweptside was assembled by the Special Equipment Group.

Can you request a build card by phone with a visa card?

The Chrysler Archives only has records from 1930 to 1954. They only take checks.

The build cards were not normally included with the truck. If you are lucky enough to find one in your truck I would be happy to help you understand it. The S.E.G sweptside might have had an extra card produced for it that could have been placed in it somewhere. Check your seat back and bottoms. What is special about your truck?

One lucky owner of a 1953 M37 Dodge found his card between the gas tank and the strap on the top side of the tank. It had some type of blue tape on it.

Kevin Clause

• Like 1

The Chrysler Archives only has records from 1930 to 1954. They only take checks.

What is special about your truck?

Kevin Clause

Here's what a 58 Sweptside looks like. They were put together in the SEG to compete with the Chevy Camio and the Ford Ranchero. They made less than 2000 of them during 57,58,and 59.

58Sweptside.jpg

• Like 3

I never did find the correct piece YET.

I have found some shorter ones from a car that I might have to have spliced together for single 100" long piece. I haven't quite given up yet.

Here's the one I've seen locally. Believe this is a year older then yours. I think each year 57 58 59 they made less and less of these. Is that trim piece the same as a 2dr wagon or is it unique to pickups?

P6180021.jpg

Yeah, that's a nice 57. The production numbers go like this.....1957 ~180, 1958 ~975, 1959 ~ 100, for a total of ~1260. Yes, I think the 57 2 dr. wagon shares that same piece.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Kevin.

Yeah, that's a nice 57. The production numbers go like this.....1957 ~180, 1958 ~975, 1959 ~ 100, for a total of ~1260. Yes, I think the 57 2 dr. wagon shares that same piece.

Not first hand knowledge, mind you but, there were two fellows from someplace around Stearns county Minnesota that each had one of these and we were chatting about how the factory folks took the fenders from a Desoto two door wagon and attached them to the side of the pickup. They said that it was too bad that they didn't take the tailgate and make a better one for the pickup. They also said that the chrome piece is about two inches longer than that of the wagon. They knew of a fellow who could splice the pieces together and make the proper length and the splice wouldn't show. If you need that guys name and number I would need to go through another fellow but I could get it for you.

Dennis

Not first hand knowledge, mind you but, there were two fellows from someplace around Stearns county Minnesota

Dennis

Ed, my friend found a new stainless piece for his wagon project so he tossed the welders name and phone number.

However, if you are a member of the Chrysler club perhaps you can find the name and number of the guy with the similar pickup. He had an open house last October for the Chrysler club. He also is the collector of police cars if you can help with a name and number we could help Reg find a welder for his stainless piece.

Dennis

I don't mind at all Reg. Everytime you post it just bumps this thread back up.

I would like to encourage those that don't have a build card to order one (if your truck qualifies). You never know what info will turn up on one.

In one case a truck had a large hole cut in the dash for some long gone item. Someone desecrated a beautiful Dodge with a holesaw? Nope. It turns out it had a tachometer installed from the factory. Somebody just removed it at some point in time.

I would like to do more informative articles in the future and would like everyone's help. I am looking for dealer invoices and build cards for any type of Dodge truck. The more I receive, the more questions can be answered. If anyone would be so kind as to share what they have it would be greatly appreciated.

On a little side note, the way the punches on the cards break down also applies to build cards for some of the cars . Probably around 1957 and earlier. They use round punches not the later rectangular ones.

Take Care,

Kevin Clause

kknglenn@yahoo.com

Reg,

FYI - The master stainless repairman of all time is:

David Turner

4388 S. Willow

Fresno, CA 93725

559-237-0892

This gent took my stinless grille pieces - one smashed literally flat - and made them look like NOS. The part I still cannot understand is that there were NO marks on the inside, either. Amazing! If he could do what he did for my parts, I'm sure he could do any other stainless repair. JMHO

post-63-1358534713303_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
"If you need that guys name and number I would need to go through another fellow but I could get it for you"

Yes please !!!! That would be great Dennis.

My friend came through tonight...

Jim Stodolka at 320-356-7118

This is someplace up in Stearns County, Minnesota St Cloud is the county seat. Just looked it up, its Avon, MN and I think this fellow has one or two of the fleetside pickups

Dennis

Reg,

FYI - The master stainless repairman of all time is:

David Turner

4388 S. Willow

Fresno, CA 93725

559-237-0892

This gent took my stinless grille pieces - one smashed literally flat - and made them look like NOS. The part I still cannot understand is that there were NO marks on the inside, either. Amazing! If he could do what he did for my parts, I'm sure he could do any other stainless repair. JMHO

Thanks for this great lead Grey Beard ! I hope he can join two pieces of stainless together to make 1 long 100" piece. I'll definitely call him.

You da uhdur Man !