Hard starting

Rodney Bullock

Let me clear up some things, I have always had a 1953 motor. The carb was a mixture of many carbs I had just lying around here. You could be right I may have a carb body from this or that motor however The base of a 217 is diffrent from the base of a 201 right the 201 is smaller. When I would go to diffrent junk yards to buy cores I would get them off cars that were older then mine. Now for that Don Coatney I was trying to be a Gentleman by not high balling up and down the road because neither one of us knew where we were. The next time I am gonna put the coupe in the wind and with this carb I can really go, I know that 5 speed split manifold duel carb machine of his can go, if he had the flux capasitor he could do some time traveling:)

Actually I think it is the other way around for Rodney. I believe he has a '53 motor in his '40 with a '41 carb on that '53 motor. In other words a carb for a 201 on a 218.

Is that right Rodney?

Jim Yergin

JIm one of those carbs could be from a 40-40 as when the farmer got a new engine it may have not had all the assesories and he had to use what was left from the old motor. Being so green in the begining of my build I swaped things until I go it running then went back replace what was not right, at that time I was lucky that it run at all.

Rodney, you have now thrown another variable in the mix. A carb transplanted from a later engine may be jetted differently than your original frankencarb. Remember your 41 has a 201 cube engine the later motors are 218 or 230 cubes. bigger displacement pulls more air and the jets sizes in the later carbs may be different. I do not have any specific knowledge on the sizes of the jets but a later model carb on the smaller engine may be over fueling the engine. this would be especially true at idle and low rpm operation, and might explain your feeling of being peppier than the other carb.

If anybody has a carter book they might be able to see if the jets are different through the years for 201, 218, and 230's.

I think the 201 intake will not except a 217 carb I had that problem this spring at carlise I bought a carb and when I got home it didnot fit. In the case of the choke and throttle this new carb will not take a cable it has a small arm that connects to a small box on the intake manifold and that is suppose to be the choke. The new carb does have bigger jets that's why it runs so great so if I trade off starting with drive ability I guess I can live with it.:P

Rodney,

That's interesting. I have a 201 in my '41 and it had an original carb. However that '41 carb base was not designed to hold the OD kickdown switch for the '53 OD I installed. George Asche supplied me with a rebuilt later model carb that would hold the kickdown switch. There was no problem installing the later model carb (presumably from a 218) on my 201 manifold.

Jim Yergin

Lots of possibilities for problems with a carb.....just thought I'd toss this non technical idea in. My P15 was getting real slow to start when it used to fire right up. Son-in-law said he thought maybe too much air was getting in, so he tightened up all screws and bolts on the carb and the two that attach to the manifold. It then started faster. May not be everyone's problem, but those bolts can work loose over time and driving.

Oh yes......Rodney mentioned the fellow at the shop damaging the ignition switch when trying to start the car by turning the key.....like a modern vehicle. When our grandson was home for Thanksgiving, I let him drive the Plymouth. Did not think to tell him about the starter button. He began by trying to turn the key.....may have twisted the key slightly. Once I saw what he was doing, pointed out the correct process.

So, I guess we need to somehow inform people who may work on our cars and have occasion to start them.....how they work. Maybe a note stuck to the dash or something.

That's the one thing that really scares me about my storage place. In the spring they usually start everyones car to move around and let people out. The people doing it are pretty young-how many of them are going to know to push that pedal on the floor to start it?

Shel, That dohicky is what I have on my intake manifold now I have never used it before however I gave the carb guy my year make and model and he sent me the carb I have, I then called him back and he said that I needed a small rod to connect to that dohicky you have there. I anin't got no small arm like that which would work on that there. I don't want that thing there I want to use my pull choke! If I manually pull that thing down you think my car will start on the first go?:mad:

Rodney,

That's interesting. I have a 201 in my '41 and it had an original carb. However that '41 carb base was not designed to hold the OD kickdown switch for the '53 OD I installed. George Asche supplied me with a rebuilt later model carb that would hold the kickdown switch. There was no problem installing the later model carb (presumably from a 218) on my 201 manifold.

Jim Yergin

Hey Jim when I bought that carb I was just learning about the different carbs for our cars It looked like the one I had however it may have been for a different car altogether, I got it from a vendor that had a bunch of carbs on a table and he did not know where they went , said he bought stock from a guy and they did not have tags on them paid 25.00 carb I bought for the plymouth cost 125.00 you get what you pay for.;)

Like this shift pattern note Bob?

That reminds me of the old beatles song, someone's knocking at the door somebodies ringing the bell ooo do me a favor open the and let them in:p I taught the guy how to start the car stop the car back up the car everything, you know he did not think enough of my car to take care of it. I charged him 500.00 to make everything right on my car after he burnt it up and I am still haveing problem, please teach these people about our cars so this doesen't happen to anyone else.

Not bragging, (much):rolleyes: but even on a cool morning, I switch on the key til I hear the electric pump change notes to tell me the carb floats just said that's enough, I pump it once or twice, hit the starter and I'm off and running. And that's with no chokes in the carbs at all. I do warm it up for a coupla minutes, any excuse to make some loud muffler noise. And I admit, a cool morning here is usually over 32 degrees F.