Movies with Pilot House Trucks

jschultz

It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world!

This 1963 classic movie was on free TV here yesterday.  First time Ihad seen it (sheltered upbringing) and it is hilarious!

It is essentiall a car chase/road movie featuring a massive amount of venhicles along the way. Jonathan Winters drives a furniture truck which looks classic but i do not know the make. Milton Berle drives a 1962 Imperial Crown convertable.

But for you Chrysler Military Vehicle enthusiasts apparently the tow truck is a 1951 M37 owned by Ray & Irwins Garage. Enjoy.

i019884_zpsc56826e0.jpgplaylist020110719173933_5416_zps595e5302

• Like 3

It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world!

This 1963 classic movie was on free TV here yesterday.  First time Ihad seen it (sheltered upbringing) and it is hilarious!

It is essentiall a car chase/road movie featuring a massive amount of venhicles along the way. Jonathan Winters drives a furniture truck which looks classic but i do not know the make. Milton Berle drives a 1962 Imperial Crown convertable.

But for you Chrysler Military Vehicle enthusiasts apparently the tow truck is a 1951 M37 owned by Ray & Irwins Garage. Enjoy.

You forgot Jack Benny in his Maxwell (predecessor to the low end Chrysler which was predecessor to Plymouth). At least it is supposed to be a Maxwell but I am not up on that era car to be sure that is what they used in the film.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Saw part of the Ray Charles bio-flick, "Ray," the other night. had a whole lot of period cars and trucks, but wasn't very realistic in my view. Every one of them was pristine and shinier than the showroom version. not my recollection of 1960s American south.

• Like 1

"Little Fauss and Big Halsey" haul their dirt bikes with a pale grey C series and have a soundtrack by Johnny Cash.

Total nostalgia for me. Lots of footage with the truck.

Jeff

OK Jeff, that goes on my "movies to watch" list right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn1AMf7j9cM

Yah Mike as an old (60 today) dirt biker who was riding at that time it is a real blast from the past. There is a great scene in it where they overheat and pull off on a dirt road. Robert Redford then grabs the seat cushion and throws it on the ground behind the truck and gets his whiskey bottle. ;) And then it starts to rain......

This movie and The Rounders feature these trucks prominently........all the others are just incidental.

Jeff

• 5 months later...

The PO of my B4B said the truck was shown in the movie The Right Stuff. He purchased it in the mid 80's from a company that provided vehicles to the studios. The truck was originally red, was then painted yellow and then red again. Haven't seen the movie yet so not sure of the story.

• 2 weeks later...

HOLLYWOOD

I saw "Goober Takes Apart A Car" again the other day, and was surprised by what was sitting in the courthouse...I couldn't make out the engine # but I don't think that setup came out of that car :cool:

large.AGSgoober1.jpg.61a3ff79e7c8cf99d5c9eae389e1530c.jpg

large.AGSgoober2.jpg.8519bce5ed0bdfd29695037dcd836d55.jpg

Edited by JBNeal
revised pictures
  • Like 2

My truck (with the rims black) has been going this Spring and Early summer to the set of the "Man in the High Castle" I believe the freedom fighters are driving it, but not sure. The production company flat decks it to and from the set (it is insured and I drive it to work) and pay a daily rental fee. But I really can't wait until it comes out to see if it gets any decent airtime. They left my IBEW sticker in the window.

• 2 weeks later...

I was watching 'Restoration Garage' (Season 1 Ep.1) on Discovery Turbo the other day when I spotted an old Dodge truck with a tree growing out of the bed in a paddock... see youtube link at around time frame 37min 54 sec....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNqy0d4TNEM .

I saw the same truck pictured in Season 2 Ep. 6 of the same show, so the truck must be located close to their shop at Bradford Ontario.

It is interesting that when they are showing pictures of the truck David tells viewers to "pay attention to old vehicles beside the road as they may be treasure just waiting".

post-3915-0-61337300-1441578428_thumb.png

post-3915-0-21009400-1441578441_thumb.png

Edited by Desotodav
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...