Where I left off

Joe Flanagan

Just to refresh the memory of anyone who's interested, this is what I was doing a year or so ago (maybe more) when I left off working on my 49 Plymouth Second Series. Now, the rockers are finished except for some minor details and I'm now welding in the replacement floor on the passenger side of the transmission hump. My used $150 welder that I bought from Tony Urwin is still going strong. Getting little cold here in Virginia but I'm going to push on. Maybe pull the long underwear out of the bottom of my drawer. I can't wait to do mechanical stuff. I wanna rebuild the transmission, I wanna do the brakes and the rear end. But this has to be done first.

IMG_08121.jpg

Yes, I'm still at it, Jim. I passed through your neck of the woods a couple of weeks ago on my way to UVA. I guess this is no way to run a railroad--a few months here a couple weekends there--but gradually it's getting done. The engine you gave me sits in my garage completely restored and rebuilt, waiting for the big day. There was so much rust damage to this thing around the floors, the bottom of the firewall, and the rockers, that this is probably the biggest single part of the project. I think the insides of the doors are going to be a major job too. I hope all is well with you.

Yep, I've found original rockers from someone on the bay... after seein em go for $250 + I saw one guy that had different rockers selling for $50 a pop. Since he had all types (but plymouth) I asked if he had 49-52 plymouth, and he set up a buy it now auction for me.... so I got the pair for $100.... was really happy about it... Then I purchased one side of a "inner rocker", but when I got them I was disappointed, but glad I only got one side, because I paid a fortune for a piece of sheet metal with a bend and a flange (that even though I'm not a metal worker that I can do myself for less than a quarter of the price I paid for the set, so I'll be making the other side myself... patterning off what I bought). The outers, according to Tim Adams, are originals with even the original J trim....

Allan

rocker.jpg

rocker-inner.jpg

I can't believe you found those. I would have given my right arm for a set that actually matched because you can't believe how difficult it is to fit outer rockers that don't quite match (at least on our models). It was the hardest part of the job without a doubt. Do yours have the indented holes in the top for the running board mat?

Joe,

They don't have the holes for the running boards... it seems they are NOS aftermarket (from what I could tell), but for me it wasn't important... I just didn't want to spend a fortune and/or have to rebuild mine from scratch myself... I can still find more from the guy too.... I'd just have to email him...

Allan

• 11 months later...