1928/29 Hydraulic Oil Reservoir

Chester Brzostowski

OK.., Now that the master cylinder is on it’s way back to good health. The next problem I need to resolve is the fact that my car is missing the Hydraulic Oil Reservoir. Any one know where I might get one or a good substitute. I was thinking of using a P15 oil bypass filter assembly (see below). It would bolt to the firewall and could be fitted with a bottom feed line. Probably would only need half the hydraulic oil but anyone have any better suggestions.?? I would really like having brakes. I have four new brake drum cylinders waiting in the wings once the MC is back in and working.

Chet…

Oil_Filter.jpg

Guest Nile Limbaugh

Some of the British sports cars of the sixties (and probably others) used separate reservoirs above both the brake and clutch master cylinders. The size is more in keeping with the quantity required. Might be worth looking into.

Some of the British sports cars of the sixties (and probably others) used separate reservoirs above both the brake and clutch master cylinders. The size is more in keeping with the quantity required. Might be worth looking into.

Nile,

Good Suggestion… Found this NOS 1966 VW Bus Hydraulic Oil Reservoir on eBay for a $9.99 Buy-it-Now. This should work fine until I find an original.

Tks, for the tip… Chet…

Jim,

I saw the article my problem is that the Tank is missing… Nothing to repair just like the Oil Reservior.

211-611-301C-MTLa.jpg

Healey's also used a remote brake tank... I believe Moss Motors had a repro Girling tank kit for about $50.

I just whipped one up for a buddy, to use as a remote fluid tank for his (used to be mine) '61 Willys pick-up... I used the medium-sized can tht PVC pipe cement comes in (has the larger cap), bought a brass bulkhead fitting, poked a hole in the bottom of the can, fitted the bulkhead fitting, decided the tin-can bottom was too thing by itself , cut a disc out of #18 gauge sheet steel, sweated that to the bottom of the can, then bolted & sweated the bulkhead fitting to the re-inforced can bottom. I even filled the raised lettering on the cap that said "Brus-in-cap"... when all was said and done, I would've saved time, money, and effort just buying the ready-made can from Moss, but it was kind of fun.

It makes me nervous to see this being described as a "Hydraulic Oil tank"... the word "oil" being used when we're talking brakes, makes me a little nervous...

By the way, the original Lockheed wheel cylinder cups were made from rawhide... they did not last - when the brakes got hot, the cups shrivelled-up like bacon !

Good luck with your Plymouth !