Jaguar IRS in an old *evy

PatS....

11112980090.jpg

This Journal at Hotrodders Bulletin Board from a guy in South Africa shows him installing Jag IRS in a 53 Chebby (RHD)

Seems fairly straight forward.

Has anyone done this on a Mopar?

For the Pilothouse guys, this same guy put Jag front suspension under a similar vintage Chebby Panel truck (alsoRHD). Maybe something to consider for a swap donor.

10861727591.jpg

Neophyte's Journal

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=18921&page=1&perpage=5&reverse=1

I can't remember where I saw it (some tv show), but someone is producing Jaguar-like IRSs for streetrods and kitcars. I believe it was a Cobra that I saw. But beefier to handle the load. Those poor axles have to put up with so much torque not only when taking off but also when braking. But it does look really cool.

Found a similar link

http://www.cwiinc.com/

Guest dave_in_carlsbad

I'm not a Rod & Custom type, but I recall that using the XKE rear end was a fairly common 'exotic' swap in the 60's. Couldn't tell you if it was done on Mopars much.

• 9 years later...

Ok, Chevy trucks narrow quite a bit on the front, like 28" outside to outside or so whereas, 1951-53' Dodge 1/2 ton trucks is 30" from outside to outside frame rails centerline. Those are my measurements remember our frame narrows as well. Then we have our Ford F1 buddies that their frames are a little wider than ours.

Mustang II with universal crossmember that is 58 1/2" track. Bolt pattern 5 on 4 1/2 same as mopar $1200-2500 new parts off shelf.

With the Jaguar front IFS it is about 58-59" you can weld a bracket in and weld it in and bolt to frame or weld crossmember to frame. Later you can bag it I believe, I am not a bagger kind of guy. Bolt pattern 5 on 4 3/4, gotta find it at junkyard and rebuild, not sure on price I am aiming for $150-300, snag rear end rides good.

The camaro front subframe graph is like 60-61" but you can get the tranny brace all at once. Bolt pattern 5 on 4 3/4, hunt down and rebuild, $300.00 or so, snag 10 bolt rear for same bolt pattern

My alternate choice is the Crown Vic (2003-2007 or 08') swap, but they are wide track. So I would cut it down 2-3" to fit my truck and have it TIG welded, not sure how much to cut until I get it in place of I go this route, and I have a MII power rack I picked up at a swap meet for 30 bucks!!! Which I will see if it fits. $150-200 at u pull with the 5 on 4 1/12 bolt pattern, snag a rear out of Dakota (1st gen) or Explorer with disc brakes.

Dakota K frame??? Yeah I thought about this too, but not much out there for k frames for is dodge guys

Good hunting guys!

My dad has been installing them in 53-56 F-100 pick ups and other hot rods/customs for years. They ride nice and are easy to get parts for.

This is the one I helped setup in his current 54 F-100 project.

20150915_105241_zpsiohdx23p.jpg

20150915_105228_zpskiaakgph.jpg

Edited by J.R.

11112980090.jpg

This Journal at Hotrodders Bulletin Board from a guy in South Africa shows him installing Jag IRS in a 53 Chebby (RHD)

Seems fairly straight forward.

Has anyone done this on a Mopar?

For the Pilothouse guys, this same guy put Jag front suspension under a similar vintage Chebby Panel truck (alsoRHD). Maybe something to consider for a swap donor.

10861727591.jpg

Neophyte's Journal

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=18921&page=1&perpage=5&reverse=1

My dad has been installing them in 53-56 F-100 pick ups and other hot rods/customs for years. They ride nice and are easy to get parts for.

This is the one I helped setup in his current 54 F-100 project.

20150915_105241_zpsiohdx23p.jpg

20150915_105228_zpskiaakgph.jpg

Kugel Komponents makes an Independent rear suspension with a 9 inch Ford type third member....

Link

http://www.kugelkomponents.com/rear_suspension/rearsuspension.php

Edited by LODI3QTR

My dad paid $200 for a complete car, pulled what he needed and scrapped the rest.