Winter Is Here In Manitoba

55 Fargo

Moderated somewhat here with temp of -12C or +10F for those Celsius challenged. However, light snow forecast for the next three days so I guess we get winter either way. No driving the old cars for about another 4 months at least. Winter sucks! I get envious of forum members who live well south and can drive all year round.

However, I am off to Maui in the New Year for a month so am really looking forward to that!

• Like 1

However, I am off to Maui in the New Year for a month so am really looking forward to that!

Be sure to take the opportunity to go whale watching while there. This is the time of year when sightings are frequent. Very impressive animals.

Be sure to take the opportunity to go whale watching while there. This is the time of year when sightings are frequent. Very impressive animals.

I have been to Maui several times and you are right, the humpbacks are incredilbe animals. I did a snorkel trip once and we had a juvenile humbback circle our boat and dive under it. We were stopped as required by law. It swam within 5 feet of the stern looking at us. There were rainbows in the air from its breath. It was incredible. I love Maui and especially the water that I can actually stay in for an hour or more at a time!

A month in Maui would be very nice right about now or at any time really. 27 degrees here right now.

Don't complain if that is your worst temps for now. It was -31 f here yesterday morning, now about the same as you 26f....

We have had a Chinook wind the last couple of days and it has been 50F+. Chinook is the native word for "snow eater" and that is what it does. Maybe you will have some warmer weather coming your way, Fred.

One anecdote is during a Chinook the horse was in the snow, the sleigh was in the mud, and the dog was kicking up the dust behind.

No thanx Robert, you can have the chinooks, early fall snow, late spring snow, and all the mess that comes with the melting snow.

Once winter sets in, I prefer it cold enough to be dry on the roads, snow is drier too.

You Albertans get these chinook breaks in winter, we have harder winter, but hotter summers and warm summer nights, that trade off I prefer.....all the best

Snowing with us right now and the temp is dropping rapidly and should be -10F tonight. Winter is back. Winter sucks. Can't wait to go to Maui. I have said before I would trade the Alberta Tar Sands and all its oil straight across for Maui. Maybe throw in Manitoba as well! (LOL FRED!!) Then I could legally live in warmth and swim in the ocean year round!

Great picture by-the-way, Bob! That's exactly what it looks like with us right now, too.

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 1

Snowing with us right now and the temp is dropping rapidly and should be -10F tonight. Winter is back. Winter sucks. Can't wait to go to Maui. I have said before I would trade the Alberta Tar Sands and all its oil straight across for Maui. Maybe throw in Manitoba as well! (LOL FRED!!) Then I could legally live in warmth and swim in the ocean year round!

Great picture by-the-way, Bob! That's exactly what it looks like with us right now, too.

Robert, I don't mind winter is it is not severely cold. Now I can understand the desire to be in the tropics though, Canada could have bought Turks and Caicos some years back, maybe they should have....

• 4 years later...

Been a while since this thread has appeared, over four years. Good to see it again! We have basically the same in Alberta now and it is still snowing at present. Temperatures are supposed to moderate somewhat on Monday and get above freezing by Thursday. We will continue shipping as much cold south of the border as we can as we love to share with our southern neighbours.:)

Weather we all live with it..some is not that user friendly.   Gorgeous out there right now, can go out in shirt sleeves for a spell.  This morning was but our second hard frost...just got off the phone with a forum member, in the teens and snowing....you'll keep warm is all I can say.

26 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Weather we all live with it..some is not that user friendly.   Gorgeous out there right now, can go out in shirt sleeves for a spell.  This morning was but our second hard frost...just got off the phone with a forum member, in the teens and snowing....you'll keep warm is all I can say.

Got you beat. I was out in my T-shirt.................................on the way to my heated garage. Could not survive winter without it. I'll take your advice and stay warm. Gonna light a fire and get a stiff rye and diet coke.:P

On ‎2013‎-‎12‎-‎19 at 7:58 PM, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Robert, I don't mind winter is it is not severely cold. Now I can understand the desire to be in the tropics though, Canada could have bought Turks and Caicos some years back, maybe they should have....

No maybe about it, we should have. Then we would have our own Hawaii! I do love Hawaii though. Usually go there every second year for a month. Should have gone this winter but will miss it so hopefully next year.

1 minute ago, RobertKB said:

Got you beat. I was out in my T-shirt.................................on the way to my heated garage. Could not survive winter without it. I'll take your advice and stay warm. Gonna light a fire and get a stiff rye and diet coke.:P

enjoy, I will stick with my Folgers....Messing with the house remodel this fall and continuing now, I did not get my heat exchangers placed in the overhead of the garage and ducting run so to connect to the hydronic outdoor heater.  For the most part I when cold in the shop I start by closing the garage door between the lift bay and the rest of the shop and run my small heater.

• 1 year later...

I had to dig this rascal up hahahahaha!

All right fellow Moparites lets sound off like you have a pair and report your weather status......

Omaha Nebraska, 20 degrees NNW Winds at 17 mph making it feel like 5 degrees.

A light snow has accumulated about an inch today with frozen rain underneath it.

Hmm.  94 inches of snow to date this winter, a record for this part of northern Maine, and there's still a solid 3 months of winter left.  Came off the coldest November on record, average temp was mid teens.  December was close, but we had a couple days in the 30s.  Just finished shoveling the snow off the shop roof for the 3rd time this season a few minutes ago (usually only have to do it once), didn't get over 15 degrees last week, every night had lows in the negative temps.  Yesterday we had wind chill temps in the -30s.  BUT, mid 20s and snowing now (I need to work on my "surprised look") and transitioning to rain by tomorrow AM with temps up to maybe 40 (t-shirt weather!), which will make a mess of the 3 ft of snow accumulated with commensurate drifts, with temps back in single digits by Friday afternoon, to make everything nice and slick for a while.  In other words, kind of a typical winter in northern Maine, we're just a month ahead in usual snow totals...    

• Like 1

Not quite 40, but we still BBQed some ribs right proper today.  Any day above freezing in January around here is worthy of a good cook-out.  Reminds me of that line from "McClintock" - "We ain't gonna let some little ol' Indian raid ruin a good barbeque...!"  (C'mon - who remembers it!?  Kept running through my mind as I tended the grill...)  The marauding Indians in this case being Mother Nature.  Actually smacks a bit of desperation, had to break out the rain poncho and umbrella because of the pouring rain, but it sure is good to have BBQed ribs in northern Maine this time of year!  Back to sub-zero tomorrow, but today sure was a hoot! 

• Like 1

Dan sounds like you got all our snow. Here in MN its almost Feb and I can still see grass in parts of my yard. We're supposed to have some close to record breaking lows this weekend into next week. 

We got someone's snow allotment, I just hope it's "normal" the rest of the winter.  You guys in MN can keep your temps, though.  I remember when we were still living in MI, there was one January morning when we had a record low on that date of -16, which I thought was pretty brutal, but the low in Embarrass, MN was -53, and that wasn't even a record!  We might see -50s after a good February nor'easter, but negative teens and 20s overnight are more typical.  Days are all over the place, usually single digits above or below zero, wandering occasionally into the teens and twenties.

Edited by Dan Hiebert

• 1 month later...