rust

brian hood

Hey Everyone,

I was recently lucky enough to buy a 53 B-4. It has a pretty good body, but it does have some rust. Is there a magic spray or coating that you can spray over underbody parts? I would like to stop further rust from developing from the rest. The underside of the floor pans, fenders, and running boards need help. However, they are not rusted through. Any idea's?

if you haven't got holes, you could wire brush it down and give it several coats of POR-15 or Rust Encapsulator (they both claim to do the same thing) and you should be happy with the result.

i wish there was sheet-metal in a can, though..... i could use some of that.

Guest Dave Claussen

POR-15 is a very good product, a little expensive but you don't have to clean off all the rust down to bare metal. In fact, it's formulated to use the rust as part of the coating to get it to adhere to the remaining metal. A couple words of caution about it though, use gloves when applying it and when resealing the can put a piece of clear Saran wrap between the lid and the can. This stuff is like epoxy, if you get it on your hands, you'll have to wear it off, and if you have any residual paint in the groove on the lid, you'll never get the lid off the can again. But, man, does it stick to rusty metal!! Just clean away the loose surface rust and apply with a disposable foam brush.

I recommend for use the 4 oz cans..great deal in a six pack box..reason..as said earlier..this stuff starts to harded once it hits the atmosphere...I successfully have stored it in the freezer section of my little shop refrig for up to two months so far without problem. Do ensure the can lid is super clean or use the saran wrap..by using these smaller cans Ihave found that there is no waste involved...so far I have been able to use every drop of paint. I first bought this stuff for to use on the underside of the hood whee if folds to make the lip the hinge bolts to. It is a great product but still think all action you can do to eliminate the rust is still your best choice. Excellent adhesion to acid treated pits...

Guest 68mercury

I agree with the others about the process but can offer you another opinion on another product to consider. POR was my previous choice but have found a better product for less KBS Rust Seal . It is very tough I couldn't belive how it flows out. I think the finish is better, it's cheaper and has some UV protection in it ;dosen't chalk like POR either. I got it from CleanClassicAutoParts.com

Guest Dave Claussen
I agree with the others about the process but can offer you another opinion on another product to consider. POR was my previous choice but have found a better product for less KBS Rust Seal . It is very tough I couldn't belive how it flows out. I think the finish is better, it's cheaper and has some UV protection in it ;dosen't chalk like POR either. I got it from CleanClassicAutoParts.com

Do they have a web site? Sounds like it might be worth a look. Thanks, Dave