Guest p15_d24_forum_admin

Adjusting Valves

Guest p15_d24_forum_admin

Please review the Tech Tips article on the main side before posting your question.

Follow this link: Tech Tips on P15-D24.Com

Once the page loads, click on the menu drop down "Section Topics" for fast access to the desired topic.

I just noticed this thread that GTK started and I thought I'd add my $.02 worth.

I made a short video clip earlier this year when I adjusted my valves. After much reading of different opinions regarding valve adjustment I thought I'd try adjusting them with the engine running, as has been recommended here on occasion. The video turned out OK. I had already made any adjustments that were needed before making the clip, so I tightened one up so that I could show the adjustment. Afterwards I realized I should have had one too loose too. The reason for that is to show that when you slide the feeler gauge in between the valve and tapped on a loose one, that is ticking, the ticking goes away. This is a dead giveaway that it is loose and needs to be adjusted.

Anyway, here's a couple different links to my video. I hope it helps you someday.

http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h254/mac2026/?action=view&current=P2211664.flv

Or

Merle

Great video. I'll have to do that when the rebuild is ready.

Can you do the cold adjust by looking at the cam(with pan off) and looking at when the lobe is at full rest point? That should work right?

when i open inspection cover to adjust valves i found a keep at bottom near

#1 valve. without pulling engin how can i find out if there is a keep missing in any of the valves? tried to compress spring but it would compress down and i couldn`t see keep...even vought a small video camera to see it but we couldn`t see it help.. 1946 dodge flat head..

Guest P15-D24

The keeper would have gone down the valve oil return hole and ended up in the oil pan.

It would be nearly impossible for a keeper to come out without the spring being compressed. It was most likely left there after it was dropped during assembly and another one was installed. I would have to think that you'd notice a valve retainer cocked (not straight) if a keeper was missing.

Merle

Coggins is correct about the valve retainer would not be at a right angle to the valve stem if one retainer was missing. I had this problem which resulted in two things. As a result of the retainer being tilted (which was hard to see). it was not possible to get a good adjustment for the valve. The retainer got in the way, causing a false reading (which was too loose) when adjusting that valve. The other problem was that it caused the valve to stick sometimes resulting in a miss. The odd part was that this had no effect on a compression test. In my case, the engine builder made the error since the problem was there right after the engine was rebuilt.

I just noticed this thread that GTK started and I thought I'd add my $.02 worth.

I made a short video clip earlier this year when I adjusted my valves. After much reading of different opinions regarding valve adjustment I thought I'd try adjusting them with the engine running, as has been recommended here on occasion. The video turned out OK. I had already made any adjustments that were needed before making the clip, so I tightened one up so that I could show the adjustment. Afterwards I realized I should have had one too loose too. The reason for that is to show that when you slide the feeler gauge in between the valve and tapped on a loose one, that is ticking, the ticking goes away. This is a dead giveaway that it is loose and needs to be adjusted.

Anyway, here's a couple different links to my video. I hope it helps you someday.

http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h254/mac2026/?action=view&current=P2211664.flv

Or

Merle

----------------

I just watched your video, great job, thank you for making it.

takes me back to the days of adjusting the solid lifters in a HO 302 years back. if you ran it hard and we did, its seems like they always needed a little tweak. you got so you hear the tap when it was right. quite an education.

I adjusted my valves using this method yesterday. It sucks doing it hot w.ith a split exhaust manifold but it works well. Today I checked the valves cold and several of them seemed wrong so I rest them cold. Sure enough when I started the engine and let it warm up several were rattling. I reset them hot again and it worked much better.