best suggestion for new fuel tank for '52?

62rebelP23

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Don Miller
Remove the fuel tank and make it so that it will not leak by using one of Eastwood's sealer products. See their web page.

http://eastwood.resultspage.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&w=gas+tank&submit.x=34&submit.y=13

Will the interior sealer plug the discharge line? Would the discharge line have to be removed from the tank first? How does it come out?

keeping the original might be my only course. luckily it did come pretty clean when i dropped it last spring for phase1 of renovation. outlet line was good and clear, the varnish hadn't actually formed that far down although the middle half of the tank was full of a cross between road tar and creosote... the top is still my concern as my fiberglass patching job didn't take hold well. it's still ON there.... just not fuel tight. can't put more than about 3/4 tank in it and it doesn't stay "dry" of water contamination. if i could keep it full(er) then condensation wouldn't form (big problem in the Southeast due to high humidity and fluctuating temps).

• 5 weeks later...

I had my gas tank done by Gas Tank Renu in the mid-nineties. It's a franchise operation offered through radiator and gas-tank shops.

My tank had huge rusted holes and their process fixed them.They cut open the tank, yanked the Oilite filter, and coated it inside and out with a baked-on mystery material. The process has a lifetime warranty. Pricey but worth it.

Harold

i found another local jobber who does tanks (my old jobber closed down and sold off the property) but i'm not getting anything done in this weather. first it rains 4-5 days solid and now it's going down past 20....

i may be taking a personal day tomorrow to keep from having to work in a warehouse little better than a deepfreezer.