Ebay

PatS....

With all the talk about posting eBay auctions, I wonder how much of a role does eBay play in the completion of your Mopar?

I have bought a few things for my Chrysler on eBay since I got the car. None of which were expensive or critical to the project. For example I bought an NOS rear fender for $40. I don't need it, but for $40 I have a spare. I wouldn't have spent much more.

My local Mom and Pop parts store and local hobbyists have been helpful.

Forum members VERY helpful.

Is eBay a critical source for your parts?

Yes and no Pat.... as I mentioned in the discussion about ebay, I'm in the middle of nowhere... not close to a big city as you are, nor near any "car specialized" stores.... just about everything for my car will be coming from the net.... however, I do shop around, and don't "depend" on the bay, but when I'm searching for something, I do look there quite often.... and if I can't find it anywhere else... well, then I buy it there (looking for the buy it now's first, rather than an auction)... if I do find it elsewhere, I compare prices wherever I find the articles.... best price, quality, shipping charges... its all important to me.

Allan

Guest Nile Limbaugh

Up here in north georgia there aren't many swap meets to attend, but ebay is like one big one. I've bought a lot of stuff for my 37 on the bay, a lot of it at better prices than most of the specialty mail order guys. I also have a parts house a few miles away that has been there since Truman was in office (or earlier) and those guys know their stuff. When I walk in the door they start pulling out the old paper catalogs unlike the new chains stores that can't identify it if it ain't in a computer. Ebay has been a big help to me.

I have gotten a few important things off the bay....like some rear wheel outer grease seals. Plus other non-essentials like literature. The auto parts stores around have many things I have needed....just bought a new 6V voltage regulator for example. Got shocks at NAPA. Have also gotten stuff from swap meets. So it's mix and match for me too.

I have purchased a number of vintage car item from the BAY. Mostly low cost items to freshen any one of my car up. But... I have also found a number of very hard to find trim pieces as well as aftermarket support item. (Things that one might have found in or on a vehicle way back when.) Norm, what name do you go under there? I don't want to bid against you for '53 Plymouth items. I use "saserv" (Sunbeam Alpine series V) Also, that fuel gauge you need. Dash or tank? I might have an NOS dash gauge. I also have a good used one at the shop.

I love Ebay!

Of course I sell parts and Ebay performs so much better than the local swap meets it ain't funny. It also allows me to buy stuff I collect from around the world.

The anonomious nature of it does leave it open to scammers so you have to watch your butt when dealing with someone that you do not know, But welcome to the 20th century when the world is a heck of a lot smaller and scammers are hitting people that do not even own computers.

Because of the scams ebay has started a new policy of not exposing who is bidding on items. This is good and bad as there is at least one Mopar seller that bids on his own auctions to drive up the price and this will now be hidden.

Just my 2 cents worth

I've found many parts on eBay that I would never have found in my out of the way area. Examples....Clock for a 42 Dodge, Rear factory bumper for a 48-53 Dodge truck,parts for my 38 Dodge truck. Even at a swap meet you can't see every little item and will miss something you need. With eBay just type in a search and you're searching the whole country. I love it too !!!!:)

I have used eBay to buy parts for every car I have restored in the last 7 years. My current P-15 actually came to me round about via eBay. Many of the parts on the coupe are from eBay sellers. I have found some very hard to find parts there. I also sell unwanted parts on the bay. It's a good way to get some extra cash for more parts. In my opinion eBay is giving us guys a great service. Like some others on this forum, I can't usually get to swap meets but eBay is a great swap meet every day!

I go by Normspeed over there too. (Short for Norm's Speed Shop, that mythical yet legendary place where I work on all my projects). Like Lee mentioned, ebay has a new policy where you can't see other bidders' names, they are just bidder 1, bidder 2, etc. But if you're watching something with thoughts of bidding, shoot me an email or pm, and I'll be sure to back off on bidding. I'm lucky, these days my shopping list is short, nothing is a must-have item.

I've got a NOS fuel gauge from ebay but I just need to work up to crawling under the dash to replace the old one. Strangely, the wagons use the older 2wire fuel setup where by 53 all the other models used the single wire sender.

Norm, what name do you go under there? I don't want to bid against you for '53 Plymouth items. I use "saserv" (Sunbeam Alpine series V) Also, that fuel gauge you need. Dash or tank? I might have an NOS dash gauge. I also have a good used one at the shop.

A very big YES to your question. I've used it a great deal and will keep using it. This is how I found my project car and my truck not to mention other parts and items related and non related to my vehicles. I've also sold about 3 vehicles on it for friends as well as a custom frame and parts but they were not Mopar related so you never saw them offered here. I was basically forced to learn to use ebay in 2000 when I wasnt able to work and had no income coming in other than my wifes. This was over at least a 3 yr period so when I started seeing items posted here it really ticked me off because I lost some items because of the post's. So yeah, I depend on it probably more than most since i do not make it to swap meets nor junk yards at all anymore. Not by choice but because of health issues.