21st Century Hemi in a P-15?

plywoody47

Anyone out there been there and done that? Got a line on a low mileage 300C drop out (5.7L 340hp). Looks like less $$ and more HP than building 230 or even a big block flatty. Yeah, I know driveline, susp, brakes will need upgrade too. Already got a posi rear in the garage (no charge option.)

Guest Nile Limbaugh

BUT what about the electronics? Computer? Exhaust sensors? The new cars are programmed to work as a unit which includes a lot of input to the computer that will change when you put the engine into another car. I spoke with a guy that had installed a new Cadillac Northstar into a 38 Dodge. He said the electronics nearly drove him nuts. It took forever to get it running smoothly and after several months there was still something out of whack, but nobody could figure out what. As for myself, you couldn't pay me enough to put a computer controlled anything into an old car. One of the things I like about them is my ability to repair anything under the hood without resorting to 'diagnostic equipment'. Just something to think about before you take the plunge. Good luck!

Hey Plywood,

I made a big mistake a couple years ago by allowing a customer talk me into doing a conversion to later model engine/tranny in a Toyota Landcruiser. After 6 months, I finally gave up and dragged the rig to a shop that specialized in that type of work. It took them 8 months to get it running and then it never was exactly right. If you've got the guts to do it, more power to you! We all hope that everything works out 'OK' for you 'cause it would make a very cool car. Us old farts have trouble comperhending how this computer stuff works and for me I don't want to know anymore. That's why I'm sticking with the old tried and true flattie. Plus I get a kick out of the old technology.

I'd have to check back but I'd swear carcraft had a mention of after market computer controllers for the new Hemi. That may work out a lot better then trying to convert the stock system.

Guest rockabillybassman

I'm with Nile. Too modern, too much clutter, no street cred anyway. New hemis are not considered by hotrodders, nor are Toyota hemis, nor are Lexus V8s. Now an OLD hemi..... that's a different story. If you want hp, you're better off going with a Chev 400 crate motor, or mebbe a 502......

In the Feb. 07 issue of Mopar Action, there is an article on a '70 cuda that has a 5.7L hemi. The guy converted the motor to a ch*vy LS1 computer as when he did his conversion, the Mopar computer stuff wasn't available. So while anything is possible, it may not be "profitable" (kind of a biblical paraphrase). It would definately be a great daily driver once you have the electricals sorted out as there will be virtually none of the routine maintenance ie. setting/changing points, changing plugs every few thousand miles, being able to drive from sea level to 7000 feet without even thinking about it, etc. (I'm sure some of the guys here can do that with their cars now so noone take offense please) None of this matters if you are only going to drive it occaisionally but it would score some cool points even at that. You could hide most of the electrical (ECU, relays, etc) stuff under the dash and keep the engine bay clean. As far a a crate motor goes, no reason to go with generic motors stuff when you can have a crate 402 (stroked 360) w/ 435hp or a 500 with 505hp. By the way, for those of you without a donor car, you can get a 5.7L Hemi with either a carb or EFI. complete with engine harness and engine controller for 7600.00. The carb version is 7300.00. Both put out 360hp and 360ft-lbs.

Of course all this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. :D

Dan