Has anybody tried one of these 6vdc Alternators

Chester Brzostowski

One wire 60 Amp 6 vdc one wire alternator.

See link to JC Whitney - 6 VDC Alternator. Looks interesting. Thinking of using this on my 29 U. Would be very easy to mount.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10101/s-10101/p-100000325670/mediaCode-ZX/appId-100000325670/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000325670

post-159-13585344628348_thumb.gif

Has 6 volt 60 amp pos ground alternators for $145 I am sur eother Ford suppliers have them cheaper. I am using 2 of them k- one in an A and one ion a 48 plym

Both work just fine.

BE SURE AND GET ONE THAT IS 6V POS GROUND.

http://www.mikes-afordable.com/miva/merchant.mv?

Lou & Norm great info.

Tks, Chet...

BE SURE AND GET ONE THAT IS 6V POS GROUND.

6V negative ground isn't that big a deal; you just switch the leads on the battery terminals and the amp gauge, and everything will work fine! Been there, done that!

Marty

Marty.., What about the starter motor. It doesn't care about polarity.?? It will still turn in the correct direction.?? Don't you have to switch the polarity on the distributor coil.?? or maybe it doesn't matter what polarity the spark is as long as there is spark.? I like lou's 6vdc positive ground alternator. It is a little more expensive but maintains the same polarity the car was originally designed for with out the hassle of the generator and regulator. Especially in the 48 with multiple electrical devices. The 29 only has an amp gauge so a negative ground wouldn't be a big deal.

Chet...

post-159-13585344628798_thumb.jpg

Marty.., What about the starter motor. It doesn't care about polarity.?? It will still turn in the correct direction.?? Don't you have to switch the polarity on the distributor coil.?? or maybe it doesn't matter what polarity the spark is as long as there is spark.?

Chet...

The starter motor doesn't care about polarity, because it is using coils instead of permanent magnets. They all reverse polarity, and it works fine. There will be a little loss of efficiency initially, due to residual magnetism, but it isn't that noticable.

You're right about the coil, I forgot that! But all you have to do is rotate the coil in the bracket and reconnect it.

Marty