O T The long & short of it in Branson, MO (3 pics)

BobT-47P15

Went to Branson to catch a couple shows at the Dick Clark American Bandstand Theater this weekend. The Friday evening show was Paul Revere and the Raiders, and Bill Medley, the surviving half of the Righteous Brothers. The Saturday afternoon show was The Comets, 3 of whom actually played with Bill Hailey waaay back. Two guys were 73, the drummer was 82. All fun shows for fans of the oldies.

They have a collection of all 1957 model cars in the basement of the theater. We took that tour last trip -- they are all nice. Out front this time was a 57 Chevy stretch limo street rod. The better half looks pretty good in front of that car.

100_3517.jpg

Then, in his show, Paul Revere (who is a funny guy) uses this Nash Metropolitan front end as a keyboard stand.

100_3493.jpg

Another car out front was this Austin taxi with Corvette engine and other streetrod items.....done for the fellow who owns all the old cars. I reckon this would get you to your destination real quickly.

100_3522.jpg

In the background is the ever present Branson Highway 76 traffic (the main drag of town, where many of the music shows and businesses are located).

They have the "Branson Wave", which is given by one driver who stops and motions in order to let another get into the line of traffic off a parking lot or side road. Pretty courteous drivers there for the most part. One of the main attractions of the town is Silver Dollar City theme park.

Thanks for the pic's and info Bob. I had heard that Paul was living in Memphis awhile back. I only remember this because I can still see him on a B&W tv doing his thing when I was very young. I'm also glad you show Branson as you do because it is a good place to go for various reasons. The wife, boys and I got to enjoy a full day at Tablerock lake on a pontoon we rented a few years ago and had a really good time. This was one of the best spots that her family chose for the yearly family reunion.

I can still remember the traffic as you pictured it as well but also like you say they have that "wave" going and the traffic seems to flow pretty well. Another area of interest if your in Branson is to visit Springfield. It's only a hop, skip and jump away and there are a few other attractions to see there as well like the Bass Pro Shop. You dont have to be a hunter or fisherman to enjoy this place but I must warn you that you may become one once you walk out the door.

Ed, they now actually have a Bass Pro shop in Branson, at the new place right down by the lake, downtown, called Branson Landing. The Landing has high end type shops, mostly, as compared to the discount malls out on the strip. It also has apartments and condos in amongst the stores.

Hey Bob, I saw Paul Revere and the Raiders as part of an "Oldies" concert about 10 years ago at the old Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh. Back then his keyboard was a White 1965-66 Mustang front end. Iwonder if he traded it in for the Nash, or maybe has several keyboards?!

Dennis, there's a Bass Pro Shop being built even closer to home, right down the hill from you, off the 15 at Cucamonga.

Cucamonga... I know it's a real place, but the name makes me chuckle. I guess out there on the left coast they ran out of normal names like our Oconomowoc, Weyauwega, Wonewoc, Shiocton, or Chenequa. :)

It used to be three towns, Cucamonga, Alta Loma and Etiwanda, and back in the 70's they merged into one, Rancho Cucamonga. (Kookymonga?) Most folks old enough to remember the Jack Benny show remember the name from there. In fact, the town has a minor league baseball team and in front of the stadium there is a bronze statue of Jack Benny.

Being in Southern California, the team is called the Quakes, the stadium is called the Epicenter, and the city hall was built to withstand an 8.5 earthquake. Route 66 runs smack through the center of Cucamonga.

The name is always good for a chuckle..:D

Cucamonga... I know it's a real place, but the name makes me chuckle. I guess out there on the left coast they ran out of normal names like our Oconomowoc, Weyauwega, Wonewoc, Shiocton, or Chenequa. :)

Then, in his show, Paul Revere (who is a funny guy) uses this Nash Metropolitan front end as a keyboard stand.

100_3493.jpg

Anyone notice the arm sticking out of the wheel well? I met Paul Revere this summer, He and his business partners wanted to buy a log cabin design of mine and build it in a remote canyon on 650 acres of inaccessible land they own. They were spurred to get the project moving when the County decided to change some of the wetland setback ordinances. The changes never took place, so the project went to the back burner. Paul is an interesting character, to say the least... I have another client building a winery in Branson, small world-

Pete

WOW!! Paul Rever is still around and playing... I remember seeing them at Knotts Berry Farm all the time. They put on a great show and I never saw a bad one. I must have seen them 20 times or more. (After all, it was free way back when, to enter Knotts and so was the admission to the John Wayne theater there.)

You got that right Norm!!! It was so much fun back in the Good ol' dayz... But I would bet that our parents said the same about their good ol' dayz too. As a kid I spent my summers at Disneyland almost ever day and loads of week ends during the rest of the year at Knotts. Today you have to take a second on the house to enter the parking lot.