Battery cable connection locations???

I got the engine set in this weekend, so it's starting to look like I'm making progress. I will be making up new battery cables as the Neg one looks to be original and the Pos one looks like a newer replacement, but too light. The Pos cable was laying loose in the truck when I got it. Can anyone tell me where it connects to the engine/chassis? the Neg cable was still installed so I can copy it pretty close, but I'd like to do the Pos cable correctly too.

Merle

PB180149.jpg

Not 100% sure about factory, but seems the shorter the better. How about routing it right next to the Neg, and going to the bottom bolt of the starter mount??? Then run on of those braided strapes from the engine to the frame also. On the cars the ground straps are prominent in two locations. One from the battery to a headbolt with a threaded cap that takes a short bolt fo the ground, and the other location is to one of the bolts that mounts the genny bracket to the block. If I was doing it without the instructions, I would run a ground strap from the genny bracket to the frame, and the battery to the block near the starter.

Merle,

There is a 3/8-inch tapped hole in the block just below the front end of the stater that works fine for me - just bolt it up with two internal star lock washers for max connectivity and min voiltage drop. Your engine looks real nice, Did you re-do yourb brake and clutch pedal bushings? Any advice on where to find new ones?

Thanks

• Like 1

That's where my connects too. I also ran a heavy jumper wire from that same tranny bolt to the firewall to make sure that I had a good chassis to body ground. Good luck

I thought I remembered something attached to one of the trans cover bolts when I pulled it out, but there wasn't much left of it. And I'll have to come up with a good location to add a ground strap/cable to the chassis too.

Dave, I've been using the threaded boss on the oil pan flange to connect the battery for a test fire, and it worked well. I was hoping to get some insite into the original connetion location, and it seems I have found that too. And No, I didn't replace the pedal bushings, although I probably should. If I knew of a source for bushings I probably would have/will.

Ed, Nice seats. Are they comfortable for long trips? :D

Merle

My ground (positive) cable is bolted to the frame about 6 inches from the battery. This of course relies on the ground straps to complete the circuit. Maybe that's one reason my truck takes a bit to get it running.

Use large cables if your still with the 6 volts. I had a neg cable made up using welding wire (not sure the size, but it's gotta be an inch in diameter). Cost me about $12 two years ago.

• 10 years later...
2 hours ago, Rebar1968 said:

hi guys so my ground goes to the starter and power to the block if I'm reading this right ??

the NEG goes to the starter and the POS goes to a spot on the frame, bell housing or wherever else you want to ground to.  Remember these trucks are POS ground.

• 1 year later...
On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2006 at 9:17 AM, Big50Dodge said:

My ground (positive) cable is bolted to the frame about 6 inches from the battery. This of course relies on the ground straps to complete the circuit. Maybe that's one reason my truck takes a bit to get it running.

my 1.5 and 2ton also have the ground bolted to the frame with the 12" cables (as shown in the parts manual) but, my 1/2tons and 1ton are grounded to the transmission top.

a reliable source :) has also confirmed his 2-3/4 tonner, 2-1/2 tonner  and a 4 tonner is grounded to the frame,  

and has come to the conclusion that on "the 1/2 thru 1 tons the engines are mounted on three rubber mounts...two at the rear ..one at the front requiring a ground cable to the transmission

On the 1-1/2 ton and up the rear engine mounts are solid steel to steel (Bell housing is directly bolted to the frame)"

I concur  :D                 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1