BIB body on S-10 chassis

pflaming

I am aware that my question borders on sacriledge, but here it is. I Just damaged the body of my '89 Chevy S-10. It is a 4WD, short frame (2 door) with a 4.3 V-6, engine, a rebuilt tranny, and rebuilt front suspension. It was my mountain lake fishing truck. No damage was done to the frame etc. QUESTION: How difficult would it be to put my '52 Dodge BIB on the S-10 chasis? OR how difficult would it be to put the engine and tranny in the Dodge? :confused:

PF

Switching bodies on a truck is a fairly straight-forward swap. Just have to ensure the front wheels are centered in the wheelwell opening or it will look real goofy.

Use the donor vehicles steering column and all the wiring should just plug back in as-is. A bit oversimplified but not that big a deal.

This Fargo is on a Dakota chassis:

Fargo.jpg

I am aware that my question borders on sacriledge, but here it is. I Just damaged the body of my '89 Chevy S-10. It is a 4WD, short frame (2 door) with a 4.3 V-6, engine, a rebuilt tranny, and rebuilt front suspension. It was my mountain lake fishing truck. No damage was done to the frame etc. QUESTION: How difficult would it be to put my '52 Dodge BIB on the S-10 chasis? PF

http://e-zchassisswaps.com/

Email:info@e-zchassisswaps.com

There is a fellow in Montivideo, Minnesota who has developed a kit to mount a Dodge pickup on a S-10 4x4 frame.

His name is Ed Lipinski at (320)269-8769

His business is called E-Z chassis swaps llc

His brochure shows a WD-40 Dodge with a 116" wheelbase and he did have a 1953 Pilothouse available. That got me interested in building a Pickup but I stumbled upon a complete one that didn't require a lot of work other than detailing so I bought that instead.

I'm really surprised at how short my 1949 Dodge is. My 2000 Ranger is a good 2 feet longer.

What he has developed is sheet metal brackets to mount stuff from the pickup to the s-10 frame. examples are brackets for the radiator, cab and the box. He originally focused on the 48-53 chev pickup, but he did a 46 Dodge for a neighbor of his.

Dennis Sullivan

The old style late 80's S-10 frame is not a straight frame as is the Pilothouse. The middle of the frame would have to have modifications to lift it up even with the rest of the frame. Otherwise the cab would sit higher than the bed. The wheelbase is right at 108.3" for a 108 Pilothouse. The Dakota would seem to be the easier swap.

I am aware that my question borders on sacriledge, but here it is. I Just damaged the body of my '89 Chevy S-10. It is a 4WD, short frame (2 door) with a 4.3 V-6, engine, a rebuilt tranny, and rebuilt front suspension. It was my mountain lake fishing truck. No damage was done to the frame etc. QUESTION: How difficult would it be to put my '52 Dodge BIB on the S-10 chasis? OR how difficult would it be to put the engine and tranny in the Dodge? :confused:

PF

What about a 94 Astro van chassis

I contacted www.e-zchassiswaps.com and inquired about theri kits. We are proceeding but not with my truck. My son chided me about taking apart a good old truck and I agreed. I have found two complete bodies w/0 chassis and will pursue getting one of those. Both are '48 and I prefer the '52 but. . . Thankx to those who responded. Will update as the project gets going.

It will not be difficult to put a pilot-house on an S-10. Since my S-10 is a 4WD and a two door it is short so we will have to take some inches off of the front of the box in order to center the rear wheels properly. The cost is not prohibitive.

Ed is easy to work with and will respond even by phone.

PF

• 3 weeks later...

This is an interesting post. I have been thinking of doing something similar now that I am in the NW where it can get icy out (or even snow). I would like to have a dodge PU or panel to go with my woodie (for hauling parts) and it would be nice to have 4x4 for the winter (as it would be my daily driver).

I have heard the standard cab longbed is the prefered chassis (not sure what the wheel base is) or possibly a extracab short bed and more the rear susp forward slightly.

I think once i am situated into my new place, I will look for a donor S-10 and then keep and eye out for a 48 - ? PU to put on it. My goal will be to do an inexpensive project that I will not be worried to drive in any type of weather.

If I remember correctly, the wheel base is changed, by cutting the welds in the splice/slip joint area. Then sliding either pushing or pulling the frame to the correct wheelbase, and rewelding. Of course, you would want to check all your measurements, before and after, to be sure that the frame is square. After that, its just a matter of changing the driveline length, and any hoses, wiring, and/or lines