fluid drive unit or clutch?

chucky07

I've NEVER owned a fluid drive..so please forgive my ignorance...I have read everything I can get..but still somewhat confused, perhaps I should try to find someone to talk to in person to get a better understanding. Anyhow I have a problem. I finally got my 52 running after sitting 17 years...took on test drive and feels like clutch is worn out. I took off center plate on floor and found fill hole (dropped plug even though i read to use magnet) The fluid was full (flowing out). So I replaced plug. I tried to look at clutch when i dropped lower pan to retrieve the plug i dropped from fluid drive but could not see much.

I really have to rev ungine up and let out clutch to get her to move...

My understanding is that the clutch is just to put it into gear and then the fluid drive unit acts as a torque converter and transfers torq to the engine..therefore I should not feel a slipping and have to throttle up to get her to move right? If I sound confused it's becuase I am ! ahahaha..

If anyone has more wisdom than I ..which is very limited, I would appreciate some input.

I guess I'll either need a fluid drive unit or a new clutch..but I don't know how to determine which I need.

When i left off the gas when I'm going down the road..she really slows down almost like a brake is dragging..but I jacked up and all wheels are turning free

thanks for your advice in advance.

kevin

Kevin, try this, go out start the car, push in clutch, is it a 3spd and fluid drive or a semi-auto 4 spd trans. Either way, put the car in either high range or 3 rd gear. With your foot on the brake let the clutch out slowly, keep foot on the brake, the engine should not stall, take foot off the brake and press on gas pedal, you should start moving, the fluid drive is not like a dry clutch. If it si slipping, it could be the clutch disc, or the fluid drive unit itself. If you need to talk with someone about this, send me a PM,will try and help you, or get someone who can............Fred

thx for reply fred...Ok it is a 3 speed on the column...I pushed in clutch..started it up..then shifter to 3rd..away and down and held brake and let out clutch and it would die...the only way to make it move is to put in first (toward me and down) and let out on clutch and give gas.....

I know its a fluid drive cuz i found the drain plug and checked the fluid level...

So i guess I need a clutch disc...or ??

thx

ok..I just put new plug wires on and guess what? I can let out the clutch and it does not die then drive like an automatic..kinda..I haven't got it to shift out of second yet..I let off gas at about 15 mph..like it says..and nothing...

guess I'll just keep going through ignition parts...so far i've replaced plugs, wires..cap..

tomorrow i'll replace the rotor and points....

It seems to lack power and I think it might be the gas pedal linkage to the carb binding up. When i push the throttle lever up at the carb it sounds good and revs high..but when im driving the gas pedal doesnt seem to get the same response..so i'll try to figure out if the linkage is binding and how to fix it..

I might be a fluid drive expert when i'm done..but i doubt it hahaahah..

thx for the help

ok..I just put new plug wires on and guess what? I can let out the clutch and it does not die then drive like an automatic..kinda..I haven't got it to shift out of second yet..I let off gas at about 15 mph..like it says..and nothing...

guess I'll just keep going through ignition parts...so far i've replaced plugs, wires..cap..

tomorrow i'll replace the rotor and points....

It seems to lack power and I think it might be the gas pedal linkage to the carb binding up. When i push the throttle lever up at the carb it sounds good and revs high..but when im driving the gas pedal doesnt seem to get the same response..so i'll try to figure out if the linkage is binding and how to fix it..

I might be a fluid drive expert when i'm done..but i doubt it hahaahah..

thx for the help

The phrase "fluid drive" is kind of confusing.

There is a "fluid coupling" in place of the flywheel. The fluid coupling is similar to a torque converter on a normal automatic except it doesn't multiply torque it just tranfers torque.

Attached to that is a regular clutch.

The fluid coupling is the thing that allows the clutch to be out without stalling the vehicle similar to sitting at a red light with a modern automatic.

Behind the clutch on your vehicle is likely a regular 3 speed standard transmission. To be sure, put the shift lever in neutral and then towards you and down. If it will go towards you and down, it is likely a regular 3 speed.

On an M6 semi-automatic, you would not be able to move the shift lever into that position.

So, you can have "fluid drive" without the semi automatic shift because the fluid coupling is independent of the transmission.

I hope that helped out a bit.:D

ok i have the regular 3 speed..it shifts identical to my 66 dodge with 3 speed on the column....i thought all the fluid drives acted like an automatic in the sense that you could put in low or high and it would shift into the next gear..i just misunderstood...well if it's suppose to drive like a regular 3 speed on the column I guess my truck runs perfect lol....im kinda slow sometimes but once you guys set me straight i see the light hahaahaha..thx again..all the help is much appreciated..

It seems the more i work on this old truck and get it running again the more i like it and want to learn about it....they're so different than the newer cars and trucks but better if you ask me..

kevin

• 1 month later...

Back in the mid 1940's there was a woman who used to drive us kids places in her fluid drive dodge. She always just left it in third and we were all a year older by the time we got to school because the acceleration was reaaally slow. Her brother on the other hand was a madman and just ran through all the gears constantly. It pulled hills pretty good when he drove it. So that car was evidently the "real fluid drive" where the trans was just coupled to the engine by the torque converter. There was no clutch, no kickdowns or solenoids involved. I might just find one and put it in my old truck.

John

• 3 weeks later...
Back in the mid 1940's there was a woman who used to drive us kids places in her fluid drive dodge. She always just left it in third and we were all a year older by the time we got to school because the acceleration was reaaally slow. Her brother on the other hand was a madman and just ran through all the gears constantly. It pulled hills pretty good when he drove it. So that car was evidently the "real fluid drive" where the trans was just coupled to the engine by the torque converter. There was no clutch, no kickdowns or solenoids involved. I might just find one and put it in my old truck.

John

All Fluid-Drive models had a clutch and clutch pedal. American models with Fluid-Drive (or the later Fluid-Torque-Drive) had a clutch pedal and the ones with the M-6 semiautomatic (Gyromatic, Tip-Toe Shift or Prestomatic / Fluid Matic) had "Safety Clutch" embossed on the clutch pedal cover. You used the clutch to change between neutral, reverse, low and high ranges. It changed gears without the clutch within low and high ranges, which made it a 4-speed.

Fluid-Drive models with the 3-speed manual transmission had a clutch - it was needed to change gears. However, you could place it in 3rd gear and drive gas/brake. The Fluid-Drive would prevent it from stalling but acceleration was slow. Hy-Drive of 1953-54 used a torque-converter with a 3-speed manual transmission and was slightly better as a result.

Note that neither Fluid-Drive nor Fluid-Torque-Drive referred to the transmission, only the fluid coupling or converter between the engine and clutch.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

• Like 1

All Fluid-Drive models had a clutch and clutch pedal. American models with Fluid-Drive (or the later Fluid-Torque-Drive) had a clutch pedal and the ones with the M-6 semiautomatic (Gyromatic, Tip-Toe Shift or Prestomatic / Fluid Matic) had "Safety Clutch" embossed on the clutch pedal cover. You used the clutch to change between neutral, reverse, low and high ranges. It changed gears without the clutch within low and high ranges, which made it a 4-speed.

Fluid-Drive models with the 3-speed manual transmission had a clutch - it was needed to change gears. However, you could place it in 3rd gear and drive gas/brake. The Fluid-Drive would prevent it from stalling but acceleration was slow. Hy-Drive of 1953-54 used a torque-converter with a 3-speed manual transmission and was slightly better as a result.

Note that neither Fluid-Drive nor Fluid-Torque-Drive referred to the transmission, only the fluid coupling or converter between the engine and clutch.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

One of the better explanations, thanks Bill. Your last line I think is very important in understanding the "Fluid Drive":

"Note that neither Fluid-Drive nor Fluid-Torque-Drive referred to the transmission, only the fluid coupling or converter between the engine and clutch."

M6_FluidCoupler_Clutch_1.jpg

1949 Chrysler Fluid coupling, clutch and M6 Transmission.

• Like 1

This might be interesting to someone who has a fluid drive in there car. A few years ago my brother made a copy of a sales promotion film that was made about 1946 or so. The film is about the new fluid drive and how easy it is to drive. Its kind of corney but you get the point as in the movie it shows a girl in a standard old Plymouth trying to drive a three speed transmission and her boy friend is showing her how to shift and use the clutch. Well she tries but gives up and the guy he just gives up also. But in the next seen here is a dude that comes along with the new Dodge fluid drive car and picks her up and shows her how easy it is to drive a New Dodge! Well you get the picture she becomes successful at driving the car and the guy well we don't know what he gets but those back seat are huge:). The film runs for about 10 minutes and also goes through the technical aspect of this new Dodge idea. Fun movie and it really is a piece of time treasure. Jon