New Poll, Should active auction postings be allowed?

Don Coatney

Should postings of active E-bay auctions be allowed  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Should postings of active E-bay auctions be allowed

• Yes post them
    • NO DO NOT POST THEM
    • Post them only if you are the seller
    • I really dont give a hoot

All of this assumes that the relatively few members of this forum actually have the power to pump up a price on an item.

I think that ability is a bit overblown myself.

There are millions of eBayers and the fact is that most savvy bidders wait until the last minutes to bid, so whether it was posted here or not, it's impossible to tell what the final price will be.

Hard to blame the item being posted here for the high price. eBay has a mind of it's own. Look at the Aamco brake tool prices.

I say post them, especially if you are not bidding on them, but on the other hand if you are going to bid, then don't post them. Someone may need the part and missed it. If you see a part that's of interest and don't want to bid, then what's it going to hurt to post it. But if you want it...MUMS the word..

My 2 cents...God Bless Us All.....John 47 Plevy

All of this assumes that the relatively few members of this forum actually have the power to pump up a price on an item.

I think that ability is a bit overblown myself.

There are millions of eBayers and the fact is that most savvy bidders wait until the last minutes to bid, so whether it was posted here or not, it's impossible to tell what the final price will be.

Hard to blame the item being posted here for the high price. eBay has a mind of it's own. Look at the Aamco brake tool prices.

Pat,

You are right but I don’t mind competing against the rest of the eBay world but I would mind unintentionally stealing something from another forum member that saw it first when I wasn’t really looking for it in the first place. It’s an ethics issue like the age old question “do I date my best friend’s girl” or for the older crowd “do I hit on my best friends wife” Some would say why not.., others would say never. According to my best friend Joe, If she says yes then I did you a favor because she didn’t deserve your loyalty. Good point but I haven’t seen him in 10 years and I think she said no.?

Once we figure this one out we can work on world peace. Don, you thought this was a simple issue didn’t you. O! Well…

I have one last statement about this issue.

When God decided to create the world he got the angles together and asked them to create a cow. After much discussion over many days they created what we know today as a camel. After that experience God decided to do the rest himself.

So the moral of the story is.., that a camel is a cow created by committee.

GTK…. We need a ruling.!!!!!!

Why not , if it's the last one on this earth the person has a right to get the very top dollar. Of course the buyer has to realize that it might not be the last avaliable. Now if we on the forum happen to start bidding, and they end up with the total price, (they being the shills) that's their problem.

Check the resources first, then bid to where you are comfortable.

But please, let the informers help out the guys that don't have the pc time to scoure all the availables.

We're all not elder gentelman with time on our hands.

Norm,

Where the difference is between a snipe and otherwise is simple... I'll use an example;

7 day auction, starts at $1... don't matter what it is.... lets say its worth $500.... you set up a snipe (lets say $100).. at this moment there are still no bids at $1.... someone posts it here, and people who don't snipe start "actually bidding" even though there are six days left.... bid up to $50.... stays that way until my snipe goes through in the last minute, I get it for $51..... if it isn't posted here and noone bids on it (cause they haven't found it or looked for it), when my snipe goes through in the last minute, I get it for $2...... quite a difference.... a difference of maybe 10 people who looked for it and maybe bid or being posted here and having 100 people maybe wanting it.....

Where the difference is is in a "bargain" for something badly listed, an unknown item etc (for the truly knowledgeable). If people see the item, it will go to whoever is willing to bid the highest, no matter what... but if you have 1 competitor or 100 (the result of posting a P15 auction here puts more eyes onto the item, whereby if it isn't seen it isn't missed..., it makes a difference....

Allan

Norm,

I do agree with you on the bidding and also on the "buying elswhere... go out and find it". However, in my case, I've got 2 strikes against me, one being cash and the second being located in an area where I just cant get what I want... ie I've been to 1 swap meet in the past 5 years, and it was this year.... I'm just too far away from where I have access to anything, which means I have to find my stuff on the net.... and believe me, I search and won't just buy something off the bay to get something off the bay, but sometimes something I"m searching for just appears there, and is cheaper (or possibly cheaper than anything I've found elsewhere....) or maybe its in Canada, where everything else is in the US, and I have the border hassles to deal with (try and get paint across the border for an example).... its all a game, and I'd prefer to use a buy it now than the auction game, but with an auction (live in person or electronically via the bay), it all goes down to 1. How many people are there 2.How many are interested in the item, and 3. How much are they willing to pay to get it..... now if you do a search and find it on the bay.... 1 person is there and is interested in the item.... maybe 10 or 12 people have looked at it (check the counters sometimes).... then check the counters after you show the item to an "area specific" forum (such as p15 parts on this forum)..... you'll see that instead of 10-12, the counters jump to 200+.... now how many people are interested, and at what price are they interested in paying..... all you need is one person with deep pockets and may want to "resell" and you can forget about winning the auction....

Allan

LOL Chet. I think you got us there..

I have one last statement about this issue.

When God decided to create the world he got the angles together and asked them to create a cow. After much discussion over many days they created what we know today as a camel. After that experience God decided to do the rest himself.

So the moral of the story is.., that a camel is a cow created by committee.

Don, you thought this was a simple issue didn’t you. O! Well…

Chet;

Learned long ago that what is black and white to me is grey to others. And what is grey to me is black and white to others.

I suggest you get a long term memory test. You should remember Joes wife:D :D